MGTDEV-L Archives

October 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Elias, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Management & Executive Development Discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 08:31:18 -500

Hi, my name is Rick Klimczak, I am a Program Director in the Continuing
Education Division of the University of Manitoba, Canada.  We think we have
a powerful new program that addresses a niche previously ignored.

WE NEED SOME US PARTNERS
We are having some positive experiences with the program in Canada but we
would like to partner with some US universities to market and possibly
deliver the program through the United States.  I welcome an opportunity to
discuss the possible terms of the relationship, it could involve the
inclusion of some of your courses on general management topics.

THE MARKET
The North American cleaning / environmental services / custodial  industry
exceeds $178.2 billion and employs 6.8 million people.   Look around your
own community, or your own campus for that matter, how many buildings are
there?!  Who is taking responsibility for cleaning them?   More importantly
how have they learned how to manage the process in a optimal manner? And yet
no university has ever provided a formal, complete program to help educate
those who manage these operating departments.  There are some developmental
programs provided by some professional associations but these tend to put as
much focus on the front-line activities as they do on broader management
issues.

Since 1992 we have been  piloting and delivering a program called The
Management of Cleaning and Environmental Services Certificate Program. We
now have over 100 students across Canada participating in the program.
 Since the US market is ten times bigger we know there is a definite
immediate potential for over 1,000 participants!  We graduated our first
group of 18 students in May, 1996.  They are extremely impressed with the
program.

Presently our enrollment comes from the following sectors:

Commercial / Contract Cleaning        26%
Hospitals                                                   26%
Universities                                               12%
Suppliers                                                      8%
Other (hotel, government, schools
etc.)                                                             28%

THE PROGRAM
We presently  deliver via independent study (print based), so it can be
taken anywhere in North America.   It consists of 6 courses, each with an
extensive Student Manual of 300 - 500 pages.  Each course requires the
students to complete approximately 7 assignments which are mailed in to the
instructor for marking and comments.  The students advise that each course
is requiring approximately 80 - 120 hours of personal time to complete.
  The Manuals are so thorough they would be a perfect text book and
instructor  reference should the courses be delivered via classroom - an
option you might want to consider if you are in a densely populated area.

The following is a partial list of those that officially endorse the
program:
International Sanitary Supply Association
Canadian Sanitation Supply Association
Canadian Administrative Housekeepers Association

Some additional information is provided via the web at:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/con_ed/mpcp/ces.html

SHOULD WE DISCUSS THE POSSIBILITIES OF COLLABORATION?
Please feel free to contact me:
Rick Klimczak, Program Director
Continuing Education Division, University of Manitoba
Ph. 204 474-8019
Email: [log in to unmask]