MGTDEV-L Archives

September 1994

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"James E. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 16:14:05 -0400
Hello all!  As the subject indicates, my name is Jim Taylor.  I'm an
internal training consultant at Quantum Chemical Company in Cincinnati,
Ohio.  Prior to entering this profession about three years ago, I spent
approximately 20 years in Information Systems.  (Quite a switch you say
from computers to people).  However, most of you out here on the
Internet understand the connection much better than many others.

I have a B.S. in Social Sciences from the University of Cincinnati and
an M.Ed. in Human Resource Development from Xavier University.  My
interests and most efforts over the past several years have been in the
areas of management development and total quality management.  These
have been addressed by various training and development and organization
development interventions.  During the past year, we have been very
seriously approaching development via application of performance
technology and organization learning concepts and techniques.  Since
our corporate T&D function is quite small (one - myself), we obviously
are in a position that requires such approaches.  Our days of generous
course offerings to all employees is a thing of the past.  We must now
identify business needs and find the most appropriate (usually meaning
lowest cost) way to deliver with business results.  Some may believe
that this is a negative trend, but I disagree.

One method that we have found quite effective is the use of university
management development and executive education centers.  Our most recent
endeavor is with The Business Consortium sponsored by Miami University
and the University of Cincinnati.  You probably have read about this
in Bric Wheeler's postings on this and other listservers.  That
programming will begin this week so we should be able to report how
it goes in the near future.

I'm glad to be subscribed here and look forward to some interesting
discussions!

* Jim Taylor                     "Computers are useless; they    *
* Quantum Chemical Company        can only give you answers."    *
* Cincinnati, Ohio                     - Pablo Picasso           *
* E-Mail: [log in to unmask]                                     *
* Voice:  (513) 530-6833                                         *
* FAX:    (513) 530-6119                                         *