MGTDEV-L Archives

October 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Management & Executive Development Discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:00:02 -500
What follows is a summary of the responses I received from the following
query:

<< I'm looking for a good model and process for helping senior management
teams identify organizational values.

 Any suggestions?  >>

Have them tell stories about the 4 or 5 biggest crises their organization
has encountered in its history.

Ask about senior management behavior during the crises. What decisions
were made? Who made them?

Have them identify how their behavior in crises reflects their true core
values.

Gil Steil
Our Organizational Universe Survey System (OUSS) has a pool of questionnaire
items taken from the actual values statements of some of the best companies
in the US and Canada. I have used it to survey top leaders regarding the
desirability of adopting each value for their organizations.

You can get detailed information on the OUSS on our Web page:

        http://ous.usa.net

John E. Jones, Ph.D.

Organization Development &  Intervention/Training Design

ORGANIZATIONAL UNIVERSE SYSTEMS
5412 Barkla Street, San Diego CA USA 92122-4002
TEL: 619/452-0844                 FAX: 619/452-0544
[log in to unmask]         http://ous.usa.net

A technique that has been successful for the executive groups I have helped
initiate the strategic management  process is as follows:

1.  Lecturette that provides an overview and language of the architectural
outline of strategic thinking about and management of the organization.

2.  Working alone, each group member chooses top eight to ten values (from a
handout that lists 30+ value titles and short definitions.  Each person then
puts their choices in rank order with their choice of the organizations
highest value first, second choice next, etc.

3.  Next, the entire group (of two or three small groups - depending on the
size of the executive team assembled) discusses and comes to concensus of a
listing of no more than six to eight values.

[It is important to insure understanding that values, once identified and
chosen,  all values are equal.  For instance, 'Integrity' is not a higher
value than 'Creative' and vice versa.  All values are equal.]

4.  The group is asked to differentiate between values which are currently
demonstrated by the organization (Behavior is believable and examples should
be cited as "evidence") and those that the organizations members need to
address and embrace to achieve the positive vision of the future that the
organization leaders (perhaps this executive group) have articulated.

5.  Finally, the group reaches consensus on the values that they believe
personify the spirit of the organization and underlie (or over arch) the
articulated vision, mission, strategic focus areas, objectives and actions of
the organizations members.

This process sequence sometimes takes several sessions.  It should not be
rushed and you should be watchful that the Big Boss doesn't impose what he
likes when people become impatient with the process.  Americans are an
impatient people.  We are not used to the kind of thoughtful, introspection
that this process requires.  And, the group will live with the results for a
long, long time.  It needs thoughfulness and consideration.

Hope that helps.  Thanks for keeping me in your active net.

Regards,   Ken Schaefer
I'd start with the term itself.  What is meant by "organizational values"?
As one possibility, consider this:  Values is a term for the principles and
standards we hold dear.  What then are the principles and standards that
are held dear?  What are principles?  What are standards?  What does it
mean when we say we hold something dear?  If we examine the behavior
patterns, especially the decisions made and the circumstances in which
they were made, what do those tell us about our principles and standards?
What standards, if breached, lead to punitive measures?  What standards,
if upheld against pressure to violate them, earn rewards and accolades?

What I'm suggesting, Joe, is that you inform senior management that to
arrive at a meaningful list of values will require a great deal of
definitional
effort on their part coupled with no small amount of honest reflection.  In
other words, their values are reflected in their actions and to articulate
their values requires examining their actions.  To get at an organization's
values requires drilling down through the superficial to get at the core.

On the other hand, if all they're looking to do is cobble together a
statement
of values so they can have one -- a rather obligatory and perfunctory sort of
undertaking -- then they can hole up in a conference room for a day and, with
the aid of a consultant, assemble a statement of values that can probably
serve that purpose -- however, it's likely to look and smell a lot like Mom
and apple pie.

If you want more ideas, contact me back channel or via telephone.

Fred Nickols
Executive Director
Strategic Planning & Management Services
Educational Testing Service
Mail Stop 02-E
Princeton, NJ 08541
(609) 734-5077 Tel
(609) 734-5590 Fax

Views and opinions expressed are mine, not those of ETS . . .
Whew!!! That's quite a request...I've been doing this for the last 15 years
and found that, while a noble venture, identification of corporate values is
a "heart-y" venture, at least...anyway:

Establish the context (i.e., why are we dealing with values, what's this all
about, etc.)

Start by acknowledging that values are at our core: they are most talked
around, least talked about

Then have them identify their personal values (I have used the Rokeach
values survey as a platform form for discussion, usually with extremely
successful results) as well as associated behaviors

Using an organizational values survey I co-developed, I have them id org.
values, and what they mean and what behaviors support them

The key point is to have the members sign up for these behaviors, and
install reward mechanisms for attendant behaviors supportive of the org.
values

Let me know if I can be of further assistance....

Richard Scherberger
I have two resources for you.  Both are based on the D.i.S.C. personality
profiles.  One deals directly with values; the other deals with leadership.

I heartily recommend both to you.   As far as organizational values, my
experience with has shown that the values of an organization are directly
related to the values of the board, the chief officers and the leaders (both
formal and informal) of the organization.  I doubt this is new to you, but it
supports my recommendation of the resources mentioned above.  I would be
happy to discuss these resources with you; if you are interested give me a
call or send me some e-mail.

Ray Hickman
OptionsNet, Inc.

OptionsNet, Inc. is a consulting business focusing in human resources,
organizational development, training and conflict resolution.   Ray Hickman
is the President.

OptionsNet, Inc.
2021 S. Lewis, Suite 660
Tulsa, OK  74104
(918) 643-2500
(918) 743-5297 - fax
From:   Golfer [log in to unmask]
To:     JLipsey

There is a paperback put out by Crisp called "Mission, Vision, Values." Try
it.
From:   [log in to unmask] (Gary Waldorf Ph.D)
To:     [log in to unmask]

I have some successful models that I have used at Pac Bell, Apple,
Intuit, HP, Dupont, ETC,

Gary E. Waldorf Ph.D.
408-425-3111
Check out the recent (Sept./Oct.) issue of Harvard Business Journal.  Porras
and Collins have written a nice piece called "Building Your Company's
Vision."  There are some thoughtful ideas about identifying values and
beliefs.

I usually work with leadership teams to get them to focus on values and
beliefs about people and work.  Asking them questions such as:
  "What should people expect from their work in addition to a fair paycheck?
and  "What should the company expect from the people who work there?" gets
them thinking about core beliefs.    I then ask them to do some individual
work,
and then prioritize their individual items as a group.  The HBR article goes
beyond the people and work issues, though.

Mike Hoban
The Leadership Edge
I think that values are most easily accessed through story telling. Just ask
the manahement team to spend a couple of hours telling stories about their
experiences within the organization. It can be useful to ask them to do this
as a team and indivdually because there can be dissonance between the "party
line" or overt values, and covert values.

After you have a stack of stories go away by yourselves and conduct a content
analysis for values, distill that information and bring it back to the group
for discussion and confirmation. You can then get them to talk about any
conflicts between manifest and covert values (if any). You can also encourage
discussion of the culture generated by the values and whether that is a
workable culture. This is a very powerful tool, and deceptively simple in
concept. I like it because it cuts through a lot of the organizational
barriers and distortions. I think a lot of people say they use this system
but fail to do the symbolic content analysis which is the real heart of it.

-Michael Watson, Ph.d.

Joe -I just read Gil's thoughts and realized I should be more specific re
mine. I recommend being less directive - or using both a directive approach
like Gil's and an indirect approach like mine, but not at the same interview.
I think that open ended story telling gives a much richer reading on values.
However, it can be useful to know whether the day to day behavior and the
crisis behavior are at all related.

-Michael Watson
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     JLipsey

You might want to get in touch with Changeworks Solutions in SF @
415-546-4488 for an excellent process/methodology.

Good luck,
George
Have the group of executives first identify some major crises or decisions
that they have made for the corporation in recent years.  Then, explore
through discussion the corporate values that were involved in handling the
crisis or making the decision -- as opposed to alternative ways of handling
the crisis or making the decision.  Such an approach provides more "real
world" feeling for corporate values than you might obtain otherwise.

Robert N. McDaniel, PhD
 Consultant: Individual, Group,
 & Organizational Effectiveness
 1250 Tech Dr. #405-213, Norcross, GA 30093
I have had a lot of experience in doing this.  The process is too lengthy to
write out on an email, but I would be happy to talk to you about it.  Give me
a call.

- Caryn Siegel

Caryn Siegel, President
cjs Consulting
415-853-0260
Kerry Patterson, the original designer of Interact's training, and the
partners of the Praxis Group have designed a module that does this very
thing. It is actually part of a Culture Assessment system where we train
Executives how to do Culture interviews in a focus group setting. Teaching
exec's not to react when someone is critical is easy, teaching them to
identify the organizational value and assumption at risk is much more
difficult. Kerry and the partners do the subject justice in their book 'The
Balancing Act'. IMHO our Culture Assessment is the most powerful thing I've
ever seen for exec's. Finally-- they understand why they get some of the
behaviors they get.
Michael Thomas          V 904.435.1000
Pathway Learning        F 904.432.7401
Pensacola, Florida      E [log in to unmask]

From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

I would suggest you have them take a look at not just crisis but also first
have people write down their individual values for themselves and then for
the corporation.

Often, it is easier to identify core values for a corporation if they are
in synch with our own!  That's why I would do individuals first.

Then have them submit a list of ones they feel relevant to the corporation
and board them.  You can then see trends quite easily when they overlap!

After that, take suggestions for more in case the lightbulbs go off during
this process!

If you get too many, ask them to narrow them down...

I hope that the Mission Statement for this group is identified...If not,
you may wish to take them through that process as well.  If you don't know
your mission, what values do you instill to keep it alive?

Lemme know if that helps...I actually just studied this for class!

Jim Jenkins
For a community organization, linking school system folk with other community
people, I am facilitating a process of  organizational values identification.
I intend to have the Board do brainstorming of values words; have small
groups pick five words; then have whole group combine and converge. The
result of this will go to the steering committee for drafting into a brief
statement for subsequent review and ultimate approval by the whole Board.

My question is: how do you define "values words"? Are thess just about the
"nature and character" of the organization?  How do you distinguish between
words which are properly "values" oriented as opposed to those which are more
vision and action oriented?  Anyone have a good resource or lead-in statement
for setting up this process?

Thanks,
Stewart Lanier
I am working with a client who has very similar value clarification
needs.  My approach is to work from the inside out.  By this I mean
each of the managers has to think for themselves about the type of
company they want to have.  What
do they value?  What are the rules? (I am attempting to accomplish this
type of introspection through journaling first.)

There needs to be a discussion (dialogue if you prefer) about each
individual's
perspective.  I hope to ask for clarification, examples, and what if
types of questions.  The intent is clarity and acceptance.

Once the management team has depicted the value set for the team, they
are going to have to commit to this set for the rest of the
organization.  This starts with a written declaration, but more
importantly real effort to live by the value set.  They need to
reinforce the set in word and action whenever possible.

Eventually, the value set will become part of the culture and trickle
down to lower levels.

That may be optimistic, but it is the model from which I am working.
Please keep in touch.  I would like very much to hear what you try and
how well it went.

Dave Karpowicz
Consultant Connection

When your organization needs to find special skills to increase
performance.

1-800-866-2523
Check the following sources:
Schein: Organizational Culture and Leadership: A Dynamic
View.  Jossey-Bass 1985

Kilmann, Saxton & S Serpa: Gaining Control of the Corporate
Culture also Jossey-Bass 1985

Allen & Kraft: The Organizational Unconscious.  Prentice Hall
1982

C. A. King
Qualityservice Group
Princeton NJ
The September-October 1996 Harvard Business Review has an excellent article
titled "Building Your Company's Vision."  The  article is by Collins and
Porras who wrote the book "Built to Last."  The article asks some questions
that assist in uncovering  a company's values as well as core ideology, and
purpose.  They then go on to talk about BIG, HAIRY, AUDACIOUS GOALS.
 Have fun!

Doug Miller
Antioch University, Los Angeles                   ph : (310) 578-1080
13274 Fiji Way                                    fax: (310) 822-4824
Marina del Rey, CA  90292                         web:
http://www.antiochla.edu
          "Responsible to Society.  Responsive to You."
***************************************
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     JLipsey

Ask them why they are proud to be a member of their organization and to tell
stories of when they were most proud. What were the cirumstances, etc.

Sue Hammond
I read your message on the training/development network regarding a model or
process for identifying organizational values.

We have available an "Ideal" form of the "Organizational Culture Inventory"
which has been used in various organizations as a tool for identifying
values, ideal norms, and mission statements.

Let me know if you're interested in reviewing the inventory; if you, I'll
send you a sample copy.

Sincerely,

Rob Cooke, Ph.D.
Director,                            Associate Professor of Management
Human Synergistics/                  College of Business Administration
Center for Applied Research          University of Illinois at Chicago
216 Campus Drive Suite 102           601 South Morgan Street (m/c 240)
Arlington Heights, IL 60004          Chicago, Illinois  60607-7122

phone: 847-590-0995;                 phone: 312-996-3794
fax:  847-590-0997                   e-mail: [log in to unmask]
From:   [log in to unmask] (Burger, Patricia)
To:     [log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask])

Try Coolaborative Action Associates, [log in to unmask]  Good Luck,
Pat Burger
From:   JIM [log in to unmask]
To:     JLipsey

You might want to contact Rod Reinecke and Ruth Wright at [log in to unmask]
 They have worked for a number of years with a model to identify values in a
corporation.  I believe you could get valuable information about their work
by simply contacting them.

I am working with Neal Chalofsky on a preconference for the Academy of Human
Resource Development in Atlanta in March, 1997, entitled Integrity and HRD:
Worlk, Spirit and Values from the Inside Out.  I thought you might want to
connect with values from the inside as well as identifying the corporate
values.  Would you be interested in further information about this
preconference?

Good luck.

Jim Henkelman-Bahn
Silver Spring, MD
management identify organizational values, I suggest you look at the (short)
book by William J. Morin, "Silent Sabotage." This book focuses on the
identification, communication & implementation of organizational values.
Chapter 7 of the book lays out the proces for doing this. I found the book to
be a good quick overview of the orgabnizational values issues. A little
"preachy" at times but generally useful.

William J. Morin is the "Morin" of  Drake Beam Morin Inc. Organizational &
Individual Transition Consulting firm based in New York City.

Good Luck in your efforts.

John Horne ([log in to unmask])
ChannnelMarker Consulting
Tempe, AZ