MKTALUM Archives

March 1996

MKTALUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marketing Alumni of Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:34:52 -0500
This is posted to several lists. If there is a problem let me know and I
will fix it. I changed address and it may have caused a mix up. The idea is
that the biological basis of being human helps us understand ourselves and
others. Then we are in a better position to act wisely.
SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump

RE: Bio-politics, education and the Chemical-behavioral paradigm:
Domination and Liberation.

It is good practice to design organizational, political,
educational, training, and commercial activity with knowledge of
the "newest" findings of social psychology, and the most
"ancient" methods of character development. In times of change,
it become necessary to think of ways to promote "reprogrammed"
individuals and systems. We are in the area of great change as we
move from industrial models of domination to information systems
and cooperation. Fundamental change is not so simple and the
evolution of culture has never been so fast. We need new
techniques to deal we this kind of challenge. There is no
solution "inside the box", we have to look beyond our culturally
defined ruts.

Candace Pert, interviewed in Bill Moyers' "Healing and the Mind"
(Doubleday 1995 based on the PBS series) was Chief of Brain Bio-
chemistry at the NIH. She discovered new types of psychoactive
drugs that are produced by the brain, endorphins, which means
"morphines from within", that are similar to opiates taken as
drugs.

The physical matter changes with personality. It goes both ways.
" the mind is not just in the brain but is part of a
communications network throughout the brain and body. You can
start to see how physiology can effect functioning on a moment-
to-moment, hour-by-hour, day-today basis, much more that we give
it credit for." If people live in an industrial, factory system,
where domination, power, and control are the commanding social
conditions, they become physically different from people who work
and live in an information, learning organization. The workers of
Detroit have different bio-chemical systems than those of San
Jose and the silicon valley. Different groups of voters have
different chemical reactions to the symbols, sights and sounds of
political messages.

As a neuroscientist Dr. Pert was `secretly' interested in
consciousness and became aware that the immune system produces a
number psychosomatic (psyche = mind, soma = body ) chemical
transmitters. The internal information system is a biochemical,
electrical network. The messenger peptides inform and stimulate
cells to produce or not produce proteins, divide or not divide,
and the direct the roles of different sub-systems in complex
strategies of growth, protection, and mood. The fight-flight
(stress response) is only one of many sub-systems. (Herbert
Benson)

Consciousness involves every cell of the body.

Try to get your "mind" around this concept. Thinking and
awareness is NOT a computer chip but a chemical soup, dynamic
interactions on bio-chemical networks, not programmed but
conditioned by genes and the physical, social environment.
Genetic context is interactive with `ecological' emotional and
social states. Neuro-peptides and their receptors are emotions.

This new science opens doors to "body knowledge", intuition, and
the deep programming of socialization. Television and diet impact
who we are. Commercials, sex and violence, effect mood by way of
organic chemistry. Bio-politics speaks to the production of
Neuro-transmitters.

The peptides are the material manifestation of the psyche and the
"soul". Anger, love, fear, awe, depression, joy, are physical and
material body reactions. Actors that play happy people have
different blood chemistry from actors that play angry people.
Thinking makes it happen, body chemistry effects our thinking.
Psychol-therapy, or traditional education maybe able to change
our patterns of thought to produce new chemical balances, but its
very difficult and unlikely. But if drugs can change the
chemistry - bingo our own attitude changes.

"People with multiple personalities sometimes have extremely
clear physical symptoms that vary with each personality. One
personality can be allergic to cats while another is not. One
personality can be diabetic and another is not."

Neuro-peptides are the biochemical units of emotion. Emotions
almost always set the context for behavior. Perhaps, industrial
and social training need to take place with sets of conditions
that produce the responses needed. Construction, decoration and
graphics, sights and sounds, diet, motion, all can contribute.
Maybe also "soma", drugs that produce a sense of security, well-
being and hope. This is the base of our Sufi program.

The old systems of power and top-down authority (Male domination
systems) have become more and more dysfunctional. Public schools
are the great hold-outs of "communist", state bureaucracies that
ignore market forces. IBM, GM, and the other industrial giants
are making way for smaller, faster, more flexible cooperative
systems of enterprise. The US congress with it's domination by
old men, committee chairmen, no longer works. Big
"communications" mega-media is coming apart at the edges.

SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump
** Peter E. Pflaum Ph.D. , Headmaster GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE
225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609
[log in to unmask]                            [log in to unmask]

SYNERGY-NET on http://emporium.turnpike.net/~pflaump or
http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaum [log in to unmask]