MU-VMS Archives

March 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Aaron D. Yonka" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:22:48 -0500
In article <1995Mar21.221512.41981@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Aaron D. Yonka) writes:
> Sorry for the somewhat rampant crossposting, but I'm not certain where this
> goes.
>
> There seems to be a significant problem with the Gandalf data switch this
> evening (10:00 pm, 3/21/95).  If one is able to get a modem connection,
classes
> v1, phoenix, and casnext all respond with
>
> SERVICE BUSY
> n USERS WAITING
> DO YOU WISH TO WAIT?
>
> Where n is some number, depending on the chosen above service (3, 0, and 0,
> respectively when I tried it).
>
> However, class miavx1 allowed an immediate connection.  In fact, that's what
> I'm using now.  I thought the SERVICE BUSY happened only on class miavx1, and
> never the other ones.  Am I confused here?  Could someone explain why this is
> the case?
>
> Other statistics that might be of use.  As soon as I connected, I checked the
> following systems and found their usage to be:
>
> Machine         Number of Users
> miavx1          96 users (118 processes)
> miamiu          110 users, 0 dialed, 4 net (whatever those last two mean)
> phoenix         5 users
> casnext         8 users
>
> What this seems to mean to me is that the data switch is unable to support
the
> number of modems we have, or the individual machines are "maxed out" with the
> above connections (or close to them).  This is very odd to me.
>
> Can someone shed light on this?  Or is this just another symptom of the
> problems MU is having with the Gandalf?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron
>
> --
> Aaron D. Yonka
>
> [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
> http://phoenix.aps.muohio.edu/~adyonka/home.html

Just for yuks, I just telnetted back to hal.acs.muohio.edu from miavx1 to see
what the messages were.  I was able to get connections to v1, casnext, and
phoenix, but before the machines responded, I got

SERVICE NOT RESPONDING
SERVICE BUSY
n USERS WAITING
DO YOU WISH TO WAIT?

For v1, n is now 10.  For casnext and phoenix, n is 0.  The interesting thing
this time is the "partial" connection and the SERVICE NOT RESPONDING parts.
They did not happen before, and these messages came immediately; there was no
lag.

I hope this information is able to help you find the problem(s).

Aaron