MU-VMS Archives

November 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:02:32 -0500
George Greer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Clayton L. Hines <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article

: > anxious to hear a real defense of its cryptic directory syntax (now do I
: > use square braces here, or a colon?), its confusing file names (well I
: > didn't need the explicit version number to CREATE the $&*# file!), and
: > its tiny user base (where's comp.os.vms.* ?).

: I've played around on VAXen type machines, mostly Muhaxp.ham.muohio.edu
: because MiaVX1 is so slow (50 users normally, compared to Muhaxp's 1)
: I figured out how to forward mail, ftp, telnet, read mail, random little
: file
: handling (delete, rename), but never anything productive.  I STILL have no
: idea how to change directories, make them, or look anywhere but my home.
: But I would have to thank Jason Portwood for his dir/copy/move aliases to
: get me through those first times in working with Linux :) (they're system
: default for everyone)

The command for creating directories under VMS is nonsense.  It took me
five or six tries before I got it right.  It went something like
"create/dir [und.howardjp.temp]" or something.  I *really* prefer the
Unix method of "mkdir temp".  That is really simple and it is just as
easy to remove it.  I still can't do that on the VMS.  The only thing
that is getting me through this unfortunate experience with VMS is the
fact that the command structure is *similar* to DOS.  Which is not really
a plus when you consider that DOS 2.0+ was based on Unix command and
directory structure and syntax.

By the way, I think the change directory command for VMS is the same as
for Unix... "cd temp".  At least that seemed to work on MIAVX1.

: George

--
Jamie
  James Howard                                             [log in to unmask]