MU-VMS Archives

October 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:37:28 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Kent Covert) wrote (in part):
> There's some interesting information about this at:
>     http://www.timedancer.com/webrace.html
> Over the summer, they hosted "The Great Web Race of 1996" where various
> people submitted their Web server's for performance tests.  The top 2
> systems were VMS systems running the same Web server software we are (the
> OSU Multi-threaded WWW server).  I thought this was outstanding considering
> that the software is public domain and is written by a guy at Ohio State in
> his spare time!!!

I think that bears repetition -- especially for those who question why Miami
chooses to run its primary web server on a Digital Alpha (a very powerful
piece of hardware, reasonably priced) running OpenVMS (possibly the most
'industrial strength' operating system around -- reliable and secure) and
the DECthreads HTTP Server for VMS software (multithreaded, fast, reliable,
and free).

--

          Miami University

          John B Harlan
          Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator

          Miami Computing & Information Services (MCIS) Client Services
          137 Hoyt Hall
          Oxford, Ohio 45056-1618
          (513) 529-5330 voice  (513) 529-5058 fax
          http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~harlanjb/