MU-VMS Archives

March 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kent Covert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 07:47:08 -0500
[log in to unmask] writes:

>>> I'm going to copy this message to mu.vms also. That is a much better
>>> location for this discussion.
>>>
>>> I don't understand how a different version of Zmodem or Ymodem-G will help
>>> your problem.  VMS filenames will always be case insensitive regardless of
>>> the transfer program you're using.  The extra $'s are VMS FTP's way of
>>> telling you that it couldn't accurately reproduce the file name.  If you
>>> want a better filename put it on the "get" command after the remote file
>>> name.  For example,
>>>
>>>   ftp.somewhere.net> get WierdCasedFilename.TxT vmsfilename.txt
>>>

>> I think the problem the user is experiencing is as follows:
>>
>> Let's assume I have a bunch of files in my directory that I want to
download,
>> say ONE.TXT TWO.ZIP THREE.EXE FOUR.GIF and I want to download them using
>> Z-modem.  Let's also assume these are the only files in that directory. The
>> obvious solution should be
>>
>> $ SZ *.*
>>
>> but the Z-modem program does not accept the * wildcard, so it would seem.
The
>> only solution I've been able to use is
>>
>> $ SZ ONE.TXT TWO.ZIP THREE.EXE FOUR.GIF
>>
>> On Phoenix and on the NeXT's, UNIX allows us to
>>
>> sz *
>>
>> But is there a way to do this on the VMS version?
>>
>> (Even if this is not what the user is wondering, I would love to know the
>> answer too!)

>         Sorry Kent I guess I should've been more specific?!  Anyhow, let's
say
> I do a Multi-file FTP transfer using MGET fileswith*.*, which I do quite
often,
> and would do more often if I didn't have the problem I'm going to further
> explain.  Let's say I have 20 files in my directory and I want to download
> them.  With the current Zmodem I can't use any wildcards say SZ *.* which
would
> alleviate a tremendous amount of time I currently spend waiting for a
transfer
> to end, and then I type in the next file name.  Like you stated the extra $'s
> are the VMS FTP's way of attempting to reproduce a file.  Most of the files I
> FTP originate as example; ThisisoneLong.file_name.lha (AMigaOS doesn't place
too many
> stipulations on file names/length.  Other file types give me problems also)
So
> this file comes into the VMS as something like;
>
> This$som$el$o$n$g$$5n.f$i$l$e5nlha
>         So the current SZ requires me to type this file name VERBATUM before
> sending which is just a hassle, furthermore no multi-file transfers which is
> one of the reasons to use a multi-file-transfer protocol isn't?  With some
> initial thought computers are supposed to cut down on repetitive tasks,
aren't
> they?  HELP!

I think the following code should do what you want:

$! NEW-SZ.COM
$!
$loop:
$   filename = f$search("'p1'")
$   if filename .eqs. "" then goto done
$   sz 'filename'
$done:
$   exit

Put this code in a file called NEW-SZ.COM (or whatever you want to call it)
and place an entry in your login.com file to define it, for instance:
  $ NEW-SZ == "@SYS$LOGIN:NEW-SZ.COM"

Then run the program with a command such as:

  $ NEW-SZ THIS*.*LHA

--
                                     Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
                                     Miami Computing and Information Services