MUEMAIL Archives

November 2001

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:03:57 -0500
Kent,

>John Moose is in the process of implementing Acctgen2 for NDS.  He's written
>it in such a way that it can be extended for other systems (such as Unixgen
>accounts, PO accounts, etc.)  Wouldn't it make sense to implement this
>within this framework?

        I think my problem is that we need something now.  Unless I misunderstand
the answer, I believe I should do a quick and dirty implementation using
the Novell import file.  I should then start working on John's acctgen2
process for implementation once it is done.  I am just a few steps away
from having a pieced together solution using the old way.

        Did I misunderstand the answer?

>Yes.  It's done "real-time" from Banner tables.  The process is outlined at:
>
>    http://www.users.muohio.edu/covertka/Acctgen2/acctgen2.html
>
>(The beginning of the document is probably the most relevant to this).
>
>Unless we have a reason to not use Acctgen2 for this, I think we should
>pursue this direction instead.

        I agree if that process is already in place.

>It seems that it should also disable mail delivery to this account.  Does
>that seem reasonable?

        The way I am doing this, once the account is deleted, mail delivery will
stop.  When the account is suspended, mail delivery will continue.

        I think this is in keeping with the philosophy that we suspend an account
for a period of time to allow the client to contact us before data is lost
and to allow the account to be reinstated without loss of data should that
be the right thing to do.

        Given that, I don't think the mail delivery should be stopped until the
account is deleted.  That is my opinion, I will do whatever, assuming it
can be done.

>> 5.  Several other files need to be generated each day that are extracts
>> from the previous day's maillog file.  I need to recreate the IPaddress
>> file that Kent was generating.  I need to collect daily usage numbers for
>> the mailstore, number of messages per day, number of unique logins (POP and
>> IMAP) per day, bytes moved, and so on.
>
>It would also be nice if we could collect last login times to report back to
>Ph and Finduser.  That information was "lost" when we went to the new PO
>server.

        Keeping this info will not be a problem.  Steve Moore and I need to
identify an FTP account where these files will be kept.  For now, I will
work on generating the file in the systemHistory directory.

        Can you send me the format of the current file?  Or how you would prefer
to see the data?

        Take a look at the MRTG graphs at
mrtg.mcs.muohio.edu/mrtg/tshost/muaix03/index.html

        Also, mail delivery and logon graphs are available at
mrtg.mcs.muohio.edu/mrtg/tshost/unixgen1/index.html

        They will soon be available on a special e-mail index page.