MUEMAIL Archives

May 1994

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 16:55:59 EST
Hail all net-gurus....

I have a couple of e-mail questions for you.

1.  I have been corresponding with my computer's manufacturer about some
problems that I have been having.  They want my credit card number, name,
and expiration date (the card's...not mine)
as part of sending me a new monitor.  My question is,
is this a good idea?  The person I have been dealing with was careful to
indicate that I should send it via PRIVATE E-MAIL.  So what is PRIVATE
E-MAIL and how does it differ from regular e-mail?  How secure is an
e-mail message once I send it?

2. On a related issue.  Let's say I send someone a very private message.
If I send the message then immediately delete the all notebook file
(or whatever notebook file the message is logged into) is there any record
of the message at this end?  Is there any way that the message could be
'intercepted' between myself and the reciever?

Just some questions....

*  Paul Mongeau  -  Communication  -  Miami University *
*              BITNET: PMONGEAU@MIAMIU                 *
*      INTERNET: [log in to unmask]        *