MUMODEMS Archives

January 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Thole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:44:41 -0500
Joe Simpson and Steve Beiting wrote:
> > Re direct connections....
> > The problem is not in your set.  Our terminal servers get confused
> > sometimes on direct connections.  They drop into the terminal window
> > when you request a PAP(direct) connection.  What you should notice
> > is that direct connections fail about 30% of the time on average.
> >
> > BTW in addition to PAP, you can now use CHAP for authentication of
> > direct connections.  This is primarily of interest to Windows95
> > clients because Windows95 tries chap first, then PAP when chap fails.
>
> > Joe Simpson  [log in to unmask]
>
> Joe,
>
> When you mention 'direct connections', are you refering to NOT using the
> post-dial terminal window (as in Windows 95 dial-up networking)?

Yes.  In version 1.00 of the MUnet documentation we show the configuration
using the 'direct' non post-dial terminal window.  In the Trouble-shooting
section, the post-dial terminal window is explained briefly and is labeled
for advanced users only.  Now, with the history of a 30% failure rate we
decided to PROMOTE EVERYONE TO THE ADVANCED USER STATUS!!! ;)

In version 1.20 of the MUnet for Windows 95 PPP documentation we show
the configuration (fig. 9) and detailed use (fig. 11) of the post-dial
terminal window.  This is currently the preferred and recommended method
of connection.  It is also documented in the Win 3.x and Mac versions too.

The v1.20 Windows docs (Mac coming soon) live toward the bottom of:
  HTTP://WWW.MUOhio.Edu/MUnet/

The post-dial terminal window is not the most elegant method but it is the
most reliable with the best trouble-shooting features.

> Also,
> can we expect less than a 30% failure rate with Windows 95, since it
> tries to use CHAP first?

I do not know this to be fact but.....  I expect CHAP to fail at the same
rate as PAP.  PAP fails most often because our authentication servers can
take between 1 second (on a good day) up to 45 or more seconds to respond
to the dialup access servers.  If the response takes longer than 45 seconds
or so (exact number unknown by me) Windows 95 times out its PAP negotiation
and fails the connection.  I suspect CHAP has a similar timeout.

> If you can't tell, the minute I would save by
> not having to manually log in is very important to me, and I want that
> minute back. :)

;) OK, a little creative math.  If you try to connect 10 times using
the post-dial terminal window you loose 1 minute each time for a total
loss of 10 minutes of your life gone.  Ouch.  However, if you try to
connect 10 times using the 'time saving' direct method but it fails
30% of the time, assuming the timeout is 45 seconds plus another 2 minutes
to start the connection again, initialize the modem and dial....that
would be about 3 times 2.75 mintues or 8.25 minutes plus 1 busy signal
adding 1 redial at 2 minutes for a total of 10.25 minutes.
Yes, we are SAVING you 15 seconds of your life with the post-terminal
window!!! ;)

> Later,
> Steve

more later,