MUMODEMS Archives

March 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:18:52 -0500
They already support 33.6.  I'm cunnected now at 31104bps, I know it's not
33.6, but the phone lines in Oxford are not the greatest tings in the world.  I
have only seen 33.6 once, that was some time ago.  Most of the time I connect
at 31104 and 28.8 every once in a while.  Those are night that I notice even
when I'm on the phone quite a bit of noise on the line.

One thing you might want to check is that your using an init sting for your
modem and not a generic 33.6 init sting.  Some modems have a "optimal" init
string that turns the 33.6 function on.  Such as, Say you have a Zoom modem,
and your dialer is using an init string for a USRobotics 33.6 modem.  They are
two different modems.

Hope this helps, or maybe it doesn't, but who knows.

Paul