MUMODEMS Archives

January 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 17:24:38 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
 (Chris Carman) writes:
> Just wanted to let you guys know that the information in the terminal logon
> window is out of date.  It says that the PPP service is in test mode and won't
> be in production until fall.
>
> By the way, I still can't log in directly or using a script, I still have to
> use the terminal window on my Mac.
> -Chris Carman
Chris
The messages on the terminal servers were changed Monday afternoon.
Thanks for commenting.
Re direct connections....
The problem is not in your set.  Our terminal servers get confused
sometimes on direct connections.  They drop into the terminal window
when you request a PAP(direct) connection.  What you should notice
is that direct connections fail about 30% of the time on average.

BTW in addition to PAP, you can now use CHAP for authentication of
direct connections.  This is primarily of interest to Windows95
clients because Windows95 tries chap first, then PAP when chap fails.

Your reward for commenting on the terminal server messages is you
get to learn about a nifty web site.
Check out   www.pathfinder.com
If you already know about that site try www.switchboard.com.
If you already know about both sites you should be suggesting
them to me!   :-)

We are as frustrated by the unreliable "direct" connections as
you are and will continue to try to reduce problems.

Joe Simpson  [log in to unmask]