MUMODEMS Archives

November 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 10:07:43 +0000
PPP (Dial-In) Status Report from MCIS
November 1, 1996

The PPP modems (for =B3Point-to-Point Protocol=B2) and their associat=
ed=20
terminal server routers have been stable for the past two weeks.  We=
=20
believe that the previously experienced problems with terminal server=
=20
router crashes have been fixed and TACACS slowdowns have diminished.

Two known hardware/software problems remain:  1) At some times for=
=20
some people, PAP negotiation fails.  This problem is being worked on,=
=20
but meanwhile can be bypassed by disabling PAP negotiation and signin=
g=20
on through the terminal window.  2) After authentication, the=20
connection cannot always be completed.  This problem is also being=
=20
investigated--please call the HelpDesk (529-7900) with specific=20
information.

Oxford on-campus: 1-7700.  All 48 lines available.  Peak usage:  48=
=20
lines.  Expect a busy signal about 75% of the time 8am-midnight.
Oxford off-campus: 523-0003.  All 96 lines are available.  Peak usage=
: =20
76 lines.  Access to these lines is blocked from campus residence=
=20
halls.
Hamilton dial-in: 737-2120.  All 48 lines are available.  Peak usage:=
 =20
18 lines.  Telephone line problems are believed to be fixed and are=
=20
being monitored.
Middletown dial-in:  420-3821.  All 48 lines are available.  Peak=
=20
usage:  9 lines.

Our two major service issues remain.  1) busy signals on the 1-7700=
=20
modems.  Reassessment continues while we await input from the student=
=20
government.  2)  our backlog in resolving PPP problems reported to th=
e=20
Help Desk.  We do not have sufficient staff to resolve all workstatio=
n=20
problems, and we encourage you to seek assistance from someone who ha=
s=20
been successful in using PPP and also to consult the Frequently Asked=
=20
Questions list which has been developed by our technical staff,=20
http://www.muohio.edu/munet/.   A significant set of problems can be=
=20
resolved using the solutions there and using the expanded set of mode=
m=20
definitions now available from the Help Desk.  An updated version of=
=20
the MUnet software will be released second semester.

If you have Ethernet capability in your residence hall, we can suppor=
t=20
your access to the network through an Ethernet connection.  Lower cos=
t=20
Ethernet adapters are now being tested.

For those who are not familiar with PPP service, it allows access to=
=20
the same Internet services via dial-up that are available with a=20
direct Ethernet connection.  While communication over the telephone=
=20
line is slower, less reliable, and harder to configure and use than a=
=20
direct Ethernet connection, you are able to use Netscape to access th=
e=20
Web in full graphical mode, send and receive mail, and telnet just as=
=20
if you had a direct Ethernet connection.

If you have difficulty in successfully connecting your computer to th=
e=20
PPP modems, you may choose to use Kermit software (or HyperTerminal o=
n=20
Windows95) for access to the MIAVX1 or MIAMIU computers, in order to=
=20
access e-mail and the Web in text mode.  Alternatively, you may wish=
=20
to use one of the networked computers in the MCIS Learning=20
Technologies Centers (in Reid and MacCracken Halls on the Oxford=20
campus) or a regional campus, departmental, or divisional lab.  If yo=
u=20
live in a residence hall wired for Ethernet access, you are strongly=
=20
encouraged to connect to the network via Ethernet.

We appreciate your participation in the MUnet project.

--=20
Jim Wilson, Manager, Instructional Computing
Applied Technologies, Miami Computing and Information Services
Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056     [log in to unmask]