MUMODEMS Archives

February 1995

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 10:50:16 -0500
> [log in to unmask] (Clayton Hines) writes:
>> Just for all to know, last I counted (Friday, 24 Feb, 95), the Miami
>> University Bookstore has sold 227 add-on, 14.4 kbps modems since 18 Aug,
>> 94.  That's
>> about 230 in six months, or about 40 per month.  Just add-ons.  And just
>> from the Shriver bookstore.

Do you think people accually know  how to install those and run a 14.4
correctly... It's not as easy as the old modems.....

>> And just for all to compare, there is currently a total of 64 modems in the
>> University Mainframe modem pool.
>>
>> And just to save you a little calculation:
>> 227 > 64
>> 64/227 = 0.2819383259912 <1/3

Now That is a terrible ratio, Even if the figures don't quite work out right...
64 modems is very dismal... I've seen big bbs's (yes I did say Big) that have
about the same number off lines! Maybe the logon prompt should read "WElcome to
Miavx1:  Miamis psuedo-bbs!"

> Before we consider how many modems are available, I'm much more concerned
with
> the slow connections I get at 14.4... I hardly get 7500 bps on downloads
> sometimes (much of the time recently).  I haven't changed my set up.  If we
add
> more users connected at the same time, then I hate to imagine the lag

Try Calling up the Gandalf from one of the Dorms^H^H^H^H^HRecidence Halls and
see what kind of rate you get... aprox 230 chr/s... yes file transfers do not
work at all on any baud/bpps/compression above 2400 bps on At&t ancients....

> Not to mention that someone has posted earlier that we have maxed out the
> number of modems per bank.  I wonder if there is any talk of adding more
> banks...
>
> Of course, if we had another general access platform, say a Unix platform, we
> could help the lag issue by dividing the user base up onto more machines,
> couldn't we?  (Sorry.  I could not resist.)
>
> Aaron

Yes.. Unix would be nice. (power, speed, ease, upgradability, etc... look at
CWRU's Freenet.... 200-300 dial-up users simultaneously.....
-
                 |   Beretta       |---------->
(or Flash to you non-computer geeks) [log in to unmask]