MUMODEMS Archives

July 1998

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
schwindc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:40:56 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Quick question - do all of Miami's modems support 33.6K connections??
> I have a 56KFlex modem, with which I can connect at 28.8 virtually every time.
> I have it on good authority that the university does support 33.6, and I've
> connected at that speed a couple times over the past couple weeks.
>
> Is it that my modem/phone line is junk, or are there just a couple 33.6 mixed
> in with the 28.8??
>
> Now, having said THAT, when are we getting V.90??????
>
> Thanks
> Dan Beekman

 The modems at all of Miami's campuses are 33.6 modems. That's the good news.
That bad news is if you have to dial from anywhere other than the area serviced
 by
the Telephone Company's CO that serves the modem pool, you will suffer
 performance
degradation, i.e. the same switch that give me dial tone supplies it to the
 modem
pool.
 If you have a modem that is 56K (either 56 Flex or X2) capable and are dialing
into a non 56K modem pool the modems will automatically revert back to V.34
(33.6k).  Typically when I dial into Hamilton's modem pool I do get 33.6K.
 Mainly
because my dialtone comes from the same phone switch that serves the Hamilton
modem pool.  When I dial the same access server from my office in Oxford I
 connect
at a significantly slower speeds (21.6k, 26.4k sometimes 28.8k).
 V.90 is expected to be reviewed by the ITU in September 1998.  We won't do
anything until a standard has been offically adopted.  But keep in mind one
 thing:
If the telephone infrastructure can't supply 28.8k or 33.6k, how is 56k going to
happen?