MUMODEMS Archives

August 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Debra Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:20:50 -0400
The on-campus PPP modems continue to be unreliable.  We believe we have
a hardware problem, and are working to replace a router card in the
modem "nest."  In addition, we will have a Cisco engineer on campus next
week to fine-tune all the PPP servers.  This is the soonest that the
Cisco engineer could make it to campus.

We suggest that anyone needing to use the PPP modems from on-campus wait
two weeks to do so unless you are willing to accept the frustration of
encountering problems.  Expect that the modems will be out of service as
problems come and go.

We apologize for the inconvenience and frustrations.  We consider your
access to these network services to be important.

Here is my understanding of the numbers of modems at each of the Oxford
campus phone numbers, along with the service and speed.

529-2930: 16 modems, test PPP, 28.8kbps  (Once 1-7700 is reliable, we
will be turning these modems over to "PUTS" service ("plain, ugly
terminal service," commonly known on campus as Kermit.  PUTS service
will be discontinued in the future as PPP becomes more popular, and
these modems will move back to PPP service.)

1-7700: 48 modems, PPP, 28.8 kbps

523-0003: 96 modems, PPP, 28.8 kbps

529-5777: 32 modems, Kermit ("PUTS"-- plain, ugly terminal service),
28.8 kpbs  (these modems will move to PPP service once demand on PPP
warrants it)

[Total 28.8kbps modems on Oxford campus: 192]

529-4999: 40 modems, Kermit, 14.4kbps

529-2161: 10 modems, Kermit, 14.4kbps

529-6114: 8 modems, Kermit, 2400bps (to be discontinued at a future
date)

As always, your patience and understanding are appreciated.

Debi Allison
MCIS Assistant Director for Client Services