MUMODEMS Archives

April 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:08:37 EST
    Stand by..... we have finally received more modems to help with the
congestion.  They will be placed into service on a new phone number just as
soon as we are able to get them configured and tested. (limited testing)

    These modems will NOT go through the Gandolf data switch and WILL be 28.8
modems.  They will not support the kermit script access as they can not be
configured to look exactly like the Gandolf modems but will work with Kermit.
MCIS will be posting more about these modems as soon as possible.

    These modems are the same ones that will be used for PPP access in the fall
but are configured for VT100 and TN3270 terminal server support.  This means
that you will be able to use them to get to host computer services like VMS, VM
and the Library.  It also means that they will go away sometime soon to
provide the PPP and ARA services for next year.

    I know this is almost too late.  I hope it will help get you through the
end of the school year.

    This service is being offered on a limited support basis.  If you can make
them work, use them.  If not use the current modems.  We hope that most people
will be able to use the new modems without any trouble.  MCIS will be providing
instructions on how to make them work soon.  We will post messages about the
new modems and where you can get information as soon as it is available.