MUTALK Archives

October 1994

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Junke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 11:04:40 -0400
In article <1994Oct13.140215.31340@miavx1>,
[log in to unmask] (James McCutcheon) wrote:

> In article <[log in to unmask]>,
> [log in to unmask] (Bob Junke) writes:
> > Proposal:    Formation of an amateur radio club, and establishment of a
club
> >              station here at Miami University.  The club would be open
to      > > all
> >              licensed hams and anyone else that would be interested.
>
> Not to burst your bubble, but I tried getting into HAM radio when I was
> younger...

I'm not sure what kind of *BUBBLE* you think I have but I got into ham
radio when I was 13 years old, long before there was such a thing as an
internet.

> I even went as far to get my Radio Merit Badge in the Boy Scouts...
> but then I discovered the InterNet, and just haven't seen a reason to
continue
> using HAM radio.

The internet wasn't formed as a replacement for ham radio.  As a matter of
fact,  the internet and ham radio are complementary.  With restrictions in
place, as set forth by law, message traffic can pass back and forth
between ham radio and the internet.  There exists a very complex and
active structure of hosts and nodes that use radio as the medium, similar
to wire (internet), to do much the same thing.  There are high speed radio
links in place between nodes,  and links via satellite also exist.  A
radio link can be established between a ham, located at a disaster site,
with normal comm lines down, and a site on the other side of the world if
need be, in order to aid in disaster relief.  All this done digitally and
by voice.  Through constant practice and simulated excercises, hams can
mobilize in time of disaster virtually immediately, where the government
agencies take much longer.  Hams are there ready and waiting to serve in
times of emergency.

There are a multitude of active ham radio clubs at college campuses across
the country and the world.  I am certain these people are aware of the
existence of the internet, and I am sure that they do find a benefit to
ham radio, and what this can do for service to their colleges and their
surrounding communities.

> Right now you can meet literally thousands of people through the 'Net from
> all over the world (w/o having to worry about subspot activity), and with

Sun spot cycles are a minor inconvenience to HF communication.

> the multimedia focus gaining attention, it won't be long before people
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> will be able to talk live via the net (and not just big businesses with ISDN
> lines).

You're right, it won't be long because they already are.  Have you used
CU-SEEME lately?  It provides audio and video capability across the
internet.  And if the city with new cable franchise regulations in force
can pull it off (it probably will happen), we will see this capability
from our homes and the dorms.   Of course, hams have been doing audio and
video across the air for a long time.  Just because the internet has this
capability doesn't negate the benefit of ham radio.

I am fully aware of the technology and tools that are currently used, and
what prospects exist for the future of the internet.  My duties here at
Miami keep me aware.  When was the last time the internet was used in a
time of disaster to keep the lines of communication going.  If you just
think about it for a little bit, you'll realize that ham radio isn't just
for "meeting people".  Ham radio plays a very big part in the area of
public service.  Ham radio is used continually to provide communication
between U.S. Navy sailors at see and their families at home.  You can't do
that with the internet.  Ham radio operators continually mobilize to
assist local and national government when a means of communication needs
to be set up that doesn't rely on a wire medium.  You can't direct the Red
Cross and other agencies into a hurricane or earthquake area using the
internet.  I also can keep in contact with some of my ham friends while
traveling in my car and I can place calls from my car to home or wherever
and I don't need to pay high cell phone charges.

I'm not saying that ham radio is better than the internet.  That kind of
discussion is pointless.  I use the internet for what it can give me and I
use ham radio for what it can give me.  Ham radio and the internet are
beneficial to each other.

> It's just a matter of technology relentlessly moving forward. How long
> did the Pony Express last after the delivery of the first telegram (to
> paraphrase a commercial)?

Ham radio today is a LONG way from being similar to the Pony Express.  The
telegram didn't do away with the Pony Express.  We still have it.  When
was the last time you sent a letter to someone or received one?  When was
the last time you received a package via UPS or FED EX?  Instead of
"ponies", motor vehicles are used.

> Well, that's my two cents.

Sorry for the long dissertation, but your comments forced me on to my
"soap box."  I am obviously pro ham radio with better that 30 years
experience to back it up.  I am also technologically aware and think that
the internet (along with its many tools) is one of the greatest things to
come along since sliced bread.

You seem to be quite anti-ham radio or else you wouldn't have gone to the
trouble of replying to this post.  You also don't seem to be fully
informed.  If you like, I'd be more than happy to discuss the hobby with
you personally or if you prefer, I can continue this discussion via
Email.  I'd also be willing to provide any copies of printed information.

--
Tnx & 73,
Bob

        | Bob Junke,                                          |
        | Miami University                                    |
        | Oxford, Ohio 45056                                  |
        | (513)529-2351                      Ham Call: WA4ZOS |
        |                E-mail: [log in to unmask] |
        |                          E-mail: [log in to unmask] |
       /)           HAM PBBS: WA4ZOS @ N8JSF.#CIN.OH.USA.NOAM (\
      / )           http://miamilink.lib.muohio.edu/bobj.html ( \