MUTALK Archives

October 1994

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 12:28:40 -0500
In article <1994Oct10.103842.31003@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(John B Harlan) writes:

> In article <1994Oct10.022209.30987@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
> (Adder) wrote (in part):
>> In article <1994Oct10.010405.30980@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(John B Harlan) writes:
>>> Do you think it wasn't a good move because of logistical considerations
>>> (i.e., Miami doesn't yet have a fully implemented campus network connecting
>>> all academic buildings, residence halls, etc, and our modem pool supply
>>> can't meet demand) or on general principle?
>>
>> Several reasons, the foremost of which is the very limited infrastructure
for
>> remote access.  We have far too few modems and absolutely NO ethernet to
>> residence halls or other living areas.  Heck.  Some of the ACADEMIC
buildings
>> aren't even on ethernet.  This is, to my thinking, unacceptable.
>
> Agreed absolutely.  But adding 30,000 accounts on each platform (VM and VMS)
> helps force the issue of completing the infrastructure and providing greater
> remote access capability.

This is true.  I guess I just have to shut up until we get acclimated.  Nah.  I
think it's my holy duty to be a legitimate annoyance.  :)

>> Also, as long as MCIS or whoever is in charge of the computer e-mail, etc.
>> coursescontinues to teach people primarily on the VM system, I have
absolutely
>> no faith in our turning out Miami U. students with "computer literacy".
>
> VM and VMS e-mail instruction is being offered on a pretty equal basis this
> fall with the advent of automatic accounts on both platforms.

I work in the Arts and Sciences computer lab in 163 Upham, and why is it that
ninety-nine percent of the time when someone comes in to use e-mail and they've
had a course in it it's the VM system?  If you're truly wroking on VMS
instruction, well, work harder. :)  I'm sure these people don't appreciate the
fact that I can't help them as adequately as I'd like because I haven't used
VM for ***three years*** and I only used it for a MONTH back then before
becoming completely sick of it.  Gack.  So, y'all in MCIS, push the VMS harder.

Or get UNIX.  Yeah yeah yeah.

>> Machine rant: HOW COME WE DON'T HAVE A CENTRAL UNIX NODE?  This steams me no
>> end.  Grr.  Grrr.  Not that *I* care; I've got my own UNIX account, but the
>> 68030 NeXT stations (the only campus-wide providers as of yet) are simply
not
>> heavy and fast enough to support what they should rightfully expect as the
>> superior operating system of all time. :) :) :)
>
> MCIS didn't have a full-time UNIX support position this time last year, but
> this spring a position was created and filled (quite capably, by Rob
> Pickering), so progress *is* being made.  I think Miami will be a much more
> UNIX-friendly environment in the next few years.

Oh, bless you, Rob.  You bring tears to these eyes.

> --
>                            John B Harlan

adder