NICKNAME Archives

August 2005

NICKNAME@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
JOSEPH LEONARD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Community concerned about racist nickname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:36:02 -0400
To:  Nickname Listserv group and a few others

No offense intended' isn't acceptable anymore
          by Terrence Moore, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Tuesday
August 16, 10:14 p.m.

www.ajc.com/sports/content/custom/blogs/sportscolumn/entries/2005/08/16/no-offense-inte.html

OR... if this site doesn't work, then go to  www.ajc.com
and click on "sports"  then on "main page"  then go down about half a
page and on the left see a small photo of Moore and click on the
article's's title.     If this doesn't work, send me an e-mail and I
will give send you a copy (one page) by campus mail.

NOTE:  Terrence Moore graduated from Miami University in 1978 as an
economics major, he immediately joined the Cincinnati Enquirer for about
two years, then a couple of years for a newspaper in San Francisco, and
for the past 20+ years for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the largest
circulation newspaper in the southeastern United States.   His career
was been in sports journalism, he now is a columnist.  Additionally, I
understand he appears on ESPN Classics.  While at Miami U, he worked for
the MIAMI STUDENT newspaper, mostly about sports.  He commended to me
that the student paper was like a real newspaper in 1974-78, much
different that it is today.  Clearly, he is not at all pleased with our
local student newspaper today.  Based on my telephone conversation with
him, he does  have pleasant memories of Miami University otherwise.   He
was here in June for alumni weekend, for a meeting with a group of
African-American alums.

In his preparation for this column, Moore interviewed Professor Phil
Shriver and then called me.  We are both quoted in the article.

I am pleased to be included in this column.  Overall, I think it makes
an excellent point and is well thought out and written.

Joe Leonard,  9-4239