NICKNAME Archives

January 2005

NICKNAME@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
JOSEPH LEONARD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Community concerned about racist nickname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:26:50 -0500
I enjoyed participating in the teach-in.  I hope those attending were
listening.

I am amazed at the two school coming together ended us as REDSKINS.
That is an amazing story.   Jeanne, do you know if that is about a
school located in OHIO?

Joe

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/25/05 01:29PM >>>
Dear Nickname enthusiasts,
   Thanks to Peter Rose, Joe Leonard, Brit Harwood and Dan LaBotz for
their participation in yesterday's "Redskins and the War in Iraq"
teach-in.  We had about 25 audience members and a good discussion.

I thought you might "enjoy" this email from a graduate student in POL
about this issue at her school.  It's unbelievable.

"As an addition to this debate, here's an interesting tidbit. In 1997,
the
high school I went to consolidated with another local school. In
bridging
the two schools, the mascots and school colors were changed and the
compromise (that was voted on and unanimously passed) was the
Redskins.
Since then, there has been very little mention of the derogatory nature
of
the name and many a proud person hailing the Indian Creek Redskins."

Best, Jeanne

Jeanne A.K. Hey
Director, International Studies Program
Professor of Political Science and International Studies
124 MacMillan Hall, Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
tel: (513) 529-4538
fax: (513) 529-1890
http://www.users.muohio.edu/heyja/
Office hours for Spring 2005: Mon 1:00-3:00, Thurs 2:00-3:30