NICKNAME Archives

January 2006

NICKNAME@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
JOSEPH LEONARD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Community concerned about racist nickname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:54:35 -0500
>>> <[log in to unmask]> 01/27/06 8:31 PM >>>

School's Name Change Doesn't Satisfy Some

.c The Associated Press

DURANT, Okla. (AP) - Some American Indian groups say Southeastern Oklahoma
State officials made a poor decision when they changed the school's nickname
from the Savages to the Savage Storm.

``It remains a slap in the face to all Native Americans and needs to be
retired along with other images deemed racially harmful,'' said Cindy Martin, a
member of the Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism.

The group says the school should have removed the word, savage, rather than
continue to use it in modified form.

The Board of Regents of Oklahoma Colleges approved the name change Jan. 20. A
new logo is still being developed. No American Indian imagery will be
associated with the new nickname.

Glen Johnson, university president, said an advisory committee of Indian
students, school alumni and administrators carefully chose the new name. Other
names that were considered included ``The Stampede.''

``We have tried to be deliberate and thorough,'' Johnson said. ``We feel that
now Savages has nothing to do with Native Americans, but more of being a
fierce competitor.''

The change of nickname came after adoption of a new NCAA policy that
prohibits colleges and universities from displaying hostile ethnic mascots or imagery
at any regional championship games. The policy also prohibits those schools
from hosting postseason championship events.

Choctaw tribal leaders, whose headquarters are in Durant, said the name
change was welcome.

``When you change tradition, you want to keep as much tradition as you can,''
Chief Greg Pyle said. ``We find that works in our tribe.''

01/27/06 12:01 EST