OCCSA Archives

August 1995

OCCSA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Catherine Hanshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Collegiate Computing Services Association (OCCSA)
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 08:08:53 -0500
               Ohio Collegiate Computer Services Association

                          Semi-Annual Newsletter
                              August 11, 1995

Dear OCCSA Member:

The OCCSA Steering Committee invites you to attend our Fall 1995
Conference. The conference is November 2 and 3 at Lorain County
Community College in Elyria, Ohio.  We invite you to join us in
this cooperative effort to share knowledge and applications.

Whether you are administrative, academic, technical or library
staff, you are sure to find topics of interest to you.

To maximize your contact with other members, we encourage you to
join us for the entire conference, beginning with the Thursday
evening session.

If you wish to bring your family, we have a long list of
activities they can enjoy while you attend the conference.

                         Sincerely,

                         Frank J. Remmick
                         Chairperson, OCCSA Steering Committee
                         Director of Computer Services, Lorain
                         County Community College

The conference committee is working hard to fill your requests.
As a result, the Theme of the conference is "A Panoply of
Issues."  And that is just what we are giving you.  The topics do
not fit into any one category.  We have something for everyone.

If you miss this session, you are going to miss something
special.  Lorain County Community College (LCCC) has gone out of
their way to make you welcome in their community.  Millie Lumley
has worked hard to gather a whole list of interesting things to
see and do in the area.  She has also arranged for for you and
your family to use LCCC's Athletic Center.

Lorain County Community College is offering campus tours on
Thursday evening, November 2, at 4:00 p.m.  The tours will
include the computer labs, the library, Computer Services, and
other highlighted areas.

At the last conference, we had an extremely favorable turnout at
the Thursday evening multimedia session.  Thus, we are repeating
the experience.  Several people commented on how they wished it
had been a hands-on session.  Well that request is being granted.
The Thursday night session is going to be a hands-on workshop.
We have extended it into two topics.  You get to choose which you
want to attend.

     "Creating Web Pages"
     "Creating Multimedia Programs"

There are a limited number of computers for each session so
please sign up early.

(As before, OCCSA will underwrite the cost of the Thursday
evening session.)

One goal of OCCSA was to assist in sharing information and to
promote conversation between schools.  The morning round table
discussions were designed to facilitate this goal.  During the
last couple of conferences, people have remarked on how they
enjoyed going to the schools and seeing what others are doing.
The only problem is they can only see what the host school is
doing.  So, instead of the round table discussions we are going
to hold a Technology Fair.  The Technology Fair will consist of
you showing your school's special project to others.  We are
asking you to bring your projects for show and tell.  If you are
willing to participate, please contact Catherine Hanshaw at
(513)727-3348 to register.  We feel this is a great way to
communicate and share information.

Friday, November 3, we will have our regular semiannual meeting.
We are planning on the following issues:

     Keynote - "Internet Security Issues"
     Breakout sessions:
          "System Conversion: Positioning for the Future"
          "Creating a Virtual Faculty: Bringing Computers into
               the Classroom"
          "Libraries in Cyberspace"
          "Facilitating Relationships Between Institutions"

You will receive the registration form next month with further
information regarding the conference and other activities.

Again, we invite you to join us at the OCCSA Fall 1995
Conference.  We are certain the experience will be an enriching
one for you.

Catherine Hanshaw
OCCSA Registrar