OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2016 07:43:57 -0400
Hello!

Ben Morrison and I set out to check the lakeshore for migrants yesterday (Saturday) as the winds were blowing from the NE and provided an opportunity for movement across Lake Erie.  At Headlands Dunes SP (Lake Co.) we had many migrants as we spent over 4 hours checking the area.  Notables included Winter Wrens, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creepers, a nice variety of Warblers (14 species), Lincoln’s Sparrows, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Gray-cheeked and Swainson’s Thrushes, Blue-headed Vireo, and White-throated Sparrows.  The complete list is below.

We then headed over Wake Robin Trail to see if there was anything going on there.  It was very quiet with one possible, but quite elusive Marsh Wren. The only seen sparrow was a Song Sparrow, but that will surely change in the coming weeks.  The phragmites control program is definitely well under way.

We decided to finish the day at LaDue Reservoir (Geauga Co.) to get another look at the Sabine’s Gull, which seems to think it’s a shorebird, and also check the area for other migrants and shorebirds.  We connected with Dick Hoopes at the Sabine’s spot and then the three of us headed out to check other parts of the lake.  We walked out from the boat launch and got nice looks at Common, Forster’s, and a Caspian Tern on the spit with the Ring-billed Gulls.  We had American Golden Plover, Black-bellied Plovers, and Semi-palmated Plovers, as well as a White-rumped Sandpiper, which was a nice find.  Our Warbler count (6 Sp.) was much lower than Headlands, but we had a great time.  The complete checklist is also below.

All in all it was, by our lights, a perfect day of birding with seasonal temperatures, a nice cool breeze, and hours spent walking trails and shorelines slowly looking for birds.  We saw several birders out enjoying the day like us.  Ohio birding at it’s autumn finest.

Happy birding!

Jon Cefus
Carroll Co.

Headlands List:

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  50
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  4
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  25
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  25
Sanderling (Calidris alba)  5
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  1200
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  50
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)  1
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  9
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus)  4
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  2
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  2
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  3
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  10
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  12
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  8
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  3
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  4
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  6
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)  6
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  1
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis)  8
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)  14
Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus)  2
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  15
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  3
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  5
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)  2
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  6
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  3
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  5
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  4
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  18
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea)  1
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca)  3
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  2
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  3
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens)  2
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum)  3
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata)  3
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  1
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)  2
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) (Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  10
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  6
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii)  2
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  12
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  250

LaDue list:

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  50
American Wigeon (Anas americana)  2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  8
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)  2
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  9
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  5
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  6
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis)  5
Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)  5
American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica)  1
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus)  3
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  22
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  2
White-rumped Sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis)  1
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)  1
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  1
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)  2
Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini)  1     Ongoing bird
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  85
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  4
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  1
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo)  8
Forster's Tern (Sterna forsteri)  4
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  1
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  8
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  25
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  2
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea)  1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  2
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  2
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum)  2
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  1