From:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:38:10 -0400
No, not a new species, this was a black-capped chickadee visiting our
feeder this weekend. It's tail feathers were entirely white. It also
exhibited odd behavior which, of course, may have been coincidental.
While the rest of a mixed flock of chickadees, titmice, and nuthatches
flitted between two adjacent trees and the feeder, the white-tailed
individual would fly from a distant tree to the feeder and back. This
one would take three or four trips and then disappear for an hour or so
while the others appeared to make many more trips before departing.

This had me wondering a lot of things, particularly if the fact that it
was so individually identifiable that I noticed things about it that the
other birds also did but were not so noticeable because they all look alike?

Anyway, I took a couple of (bad) pictures. If I get any good ones, I'll
post them somewhere for others to view.

Chris Caprette
Geauga Co.