OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2021

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2021 19:38:47 -0400
I went to the Funk Bottoms today just to see what was around and to hopefully see the Little Blue Herons that have been reported. The three Little Blues are still hanging together accompanied by many Great Egrets. They were not super close but a lot closer than the one I saw at Big Island.

While I was looking for other shorebirds, I ran into another birder Bill (whose last name escapes me at the moment) who let me know that a Baird’s SP had been seen earlier. It wasn’t long before there were four or five birders trying to relocate it which we were finally able to do altho it was at some distance. Scope views were quite good and a couple people got some record shots. It contrasted nicely with what I believe was a juvenile Semi-palmated Sandpiper in the same area.

Other shorebirds I saw were many Lesser YLs, a few Greaters, Pectoral, Least SPs & a couple Spotted SPs. Semi-palmated Plovers and many Killdeer. several immature bald eagles, Kingfisher and four Sandhill Cranes. Great Egrets outnumbered the Great Blue Herons.

I also saw a Red-headed WP on the road to the observation tower, I believe a first for me for that area. Couple wood ducks and distant mallards. Eastern Phoebe.

On Friday I had checked out pick ponds and saw pretty much the same shorebirds as reported. I missed Avocet & Stilt SP that had been reported there although I did see the SB Dowitcher. I did not see the Snowy Egret on that trip but I had seen it before so I didn’t spend much time looking for it. Heard E Peewees.

After that I checked the Hebron fish hatchery but only saw Killdeer & a couple Leasts in the one pond that is suitable for shorebirds. I did have an Osprey fishing in one of the ponds in the back which was nice.

Many thx to all the birders who helped refind the Baird’s today and let me view thru their scopes—between my short stature and angled eyepiece scope, I could not get above the foreground vegetation with mine.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone