OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 20:12:39 +0000
This morning, Monday, about 9:15AM, upon my arrival out on "The Conneaut Sandspit", 24 Bald Eagles could be seen. 12 were on the Lighthouse Breakwall, 4 on the sandspit, and 8 on the East Breakwall and the aggregate piles. More could have been back up in the Conneaut Creek channel and the conveyors area. My count included 5 adults and 19 juveniles. To me, the annual gathering of the eagles seems to be off to a bit early of a start. In past years by mid July, the count can grow to fifty or more. By 10:50AM, the eagles had already dispersed to wherever. For whatever the reason they are here, I believe this annual happening produces a concentration of more eagles than anywhere else on Lake Erie, and obviously in Ohio. Best viewing is early morning from "The Sandspit", which is now accessible by vehicle. No access fee past the gate to drive out is required, until after 11:00AM. Another highlight this morning, was a Common Merganser family, mom and eight merglets, with three of the kids riding on her back. By the way, the water level of Lake Erie and in the bay is super high! One thing that will apparently never change, upon my departure, the infamous rake tractor was arriving to terrorize the birds, and groom and wear out, every square inch of sandspit.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County