Date:
Fri, 8 May 2009 17:04:51 GMT
A synopsis from earlier this week:

On Monday (5/4) I took a couple of early afternoon hours to seriously explore areas of our property that I haven’t earlier this spring. Since I left Tuesday for two and a half weeks of work in southern California, this was my last real opportunity to assess our birds until after the main migration will have passed.

The prairie warbler persists, and appears to be on territory, raising my hopes that this former “nemesis” species of mine will join the ranks of our nesting warblers. (Life sighting was on 4/28.) This brilliant little yellow marvel sang and flitted around his favored territory at the upper end of the ARA Trail, sometimes perching and singing within five feet (!) of me.

Other “back forty” successional field delights include: yellow warbler, common yellowthroat, and blue-winged warbler, all of which are annual nesters at our farm. No sign of a yellow-breasted chat yet, a species we used to have annually, but haven’t had nesting since 2006.

As a parenthetical note - our first indigo bunting was last Friday, 5/1. Zonotrichia continue to trickle through. On Tuesday I saw and heard at least one white-crowned sparrow, and I heard a white-throated as well.

As I was watching and listening to the prairie warbler, I could hear at least two hooded warblers singing in the nearby Nibelheim Hollow. (Note: all place names in my descriptions are our own, and have little meaning to anyone else. I include them for my own reference.) After taking my fill of the prairie warbler I decided to meander down the trail into the hollow, something I only did once earlier this spring. As I began the descent I heard a Blackburnian warbler somewhere nearby. I always enjoy these passers-through (who doesn’t?) so I tried to find it. I found a hooded warbler, then I spotted a hummingbird: a female. “That’s interesting.” I thought, and I decided to watch her for a minute or two. She perched on a branch of a maple for a while, then buzzed up very briefly to a nest, pausing only for a couple seconds before moving on. This is only the second hummingbird nest I have ever found in our woods. The first was in our deepest hollow a few years ago, and it was washed out by the remnants of an early tropical storm, June of 2004 if I recall correctly. I took careful note of Monday’s nest sighting and I will check on it carefully when I’m back on the 22nd.

At the bottom of the hollow I sat watching and listening for the better part of an hour on one of my benches (placed there two years ago for that very purpose.) Scarlet tanagers, a rose-breasted grosbeak, a Swainson’s thrush, many wood thrushes, several red-eyed vireos, titmice, chickadees, house wrens, and hooded warblers were the main attractions, along with robins, cardinals, and a brief appearance by a Nashville warbler: a wonderful, peaceful, meditative interlude in my day, and in my life.

Assorted observations:

Bluebirds continue in Box Number 7, where I observed five eggs on April 24. Tree swallows in Boxes 1, 2 and 5. House sparrows (evicted again, grrr…) in Box 3. Nothing in Boxes 4 and 6.

I haven’t seen nor heard any Kentucky warblers this year. They used to be regulars, but I have missed them since 2006. Ovenbirds either have disappeared or weren’t singing from last Friday through my departure on Tuesday. Acadian flycatchers (an absolutely reliable annual nester) have yet to show. At the end of my walk I heard a Louisiana waterthrush in the Spring Hollow, a new location (although perfect habitat.) All three mimids seemed to be settling in: catbirds in several locations, mockingbirds in the southern edge of the horse pasture, brown thrashers along the “elbow” in the field over the hill.

All five regular woodpecker species are around (downy, hairy, red-bellied, pileated and flicker.) I have found nest holes for downy, red-bellied and flicker.

I heard a barred owl inquiring about the identity of the cook while I was out on this walk as well: the first owl I have heard in several months. It always makes me smile.

Life is good.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County