OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:45:58 -0500
Hi,

November first, marks the start of our second season of non breeding season
observation and search for Dark-eyed Juncos banded during the breeding
season.  We color banded 10 birds in the 2017 breeding season, and an
additional 18 in the 2018 breeding season, including fledglings in early
September, here on  Gildersleeve Mountain.

Since the first of the month I have had three observations of one
individual here on Gildersleeve Mountain.

We have changed our detection strategy from the first year.  In addition to
human field observation, we have gone to squirrel proof bird feeders paired
with trail cams.  Last season  we tried deer feeders but got so many images
of squirrels and other wildlife it made sorting though the images very
cumbersome.  Plus when we did get a Junco photo, it was often too far away
to see bands or other detail.  By using squirrel proof bird feeders we can
get the birds to a location concentrated on the feeder perch, and close
enough to the camera that we will be able to see sufficient detail.

Last year we had 2 feeder/camera locations and this year we have increased
that to 6, corresponding to the sites where we had the most banding success
in the breeding season.  This includes my yard on Gildersleeve Mountain,
and 5 sites at The Holden Arboretum:  Two on Little Mountain. Two along the
East Branch of the Chagrin, and one on the north rim of Stebbin's Gulch.

Last season we observed 9 of the 10 birds we had banded.  All were found in
close proximity the the banding location.

Haans