OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2021

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:08:25 -0400
Wanting a change of scenery I checked out the two above areas today. Nothing remarkable. At the beach at Dillon there must’ve been over 40 great blue herons & at least a dozen great egrets on the far side of the lake along with many cormorants so that was kind of neat. Several of the great blues had their wings stretched out soaking up some sun or in hopes of killing some feather mites. As I was scanning a Yellowlegs sp flew into my scope view. A few Barn Swallows.

At the dam I picked up a Green Heron and an empid.

I stopped by Blackhand Gorge on the way home, just on the road into the wildlife area near the bridge. I had just gotten onto a mixed flock and was trying to sort through them when one truck and then another interrupted my viewing and unfortunately by the time they left, the flock had moved on. The only definite IDs I got were one B&W and 2 Blackburnian warblers, another empid, and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. I also heard Peewee, Wood Ducks and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

Thunder was beginning to rumble and the temperatures/humidity uncomfortable so I called it a morning.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone