OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
MK McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MK McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:58:17 -0500
OOS will sponsor a trip to the Reelfoot Lake area over the President's Day weekend in February. Reelfoot Lake, which is located on the Tennessee-Kentucky border just east of the Mississippi River, hosts large concentrations of wintering Bald Eagles and waterfowl, including Greater White-fronted Geese, Snow Geese by the thousands, and frequently Ross’s Geese. Other interesting birds which we expect to see include Loggerhead Shrike, Western Meadowlark, Red-headed Woodpecker, Winter Wren, Black Vulture, Northern Harriers and Fish Crow. The weather is usually mild this time of year, the birding is always great, and your fellow birders promise to be helpful and fun!

We will start with a presentation introducing you to the area on Friday evening at the Blue Bank Resort. We will offer some birding ID tips as well. Two experienced birders will lead you to the best spots in the area on Saturday February 15 and Sunday 16, and we will give participants suggestions for other areas to hit on your way to and from Ohio (allow six hours driving time from Cincinnati). The cost is a $25.00 donation payable to OOS, which does not include meals and lodging. The leaders will be staying at the Blue Bank Resort, which offers package deals for dinner and motel, but there are a number of other motels in the area.  The trip will be limited to 20 participants and we still have a few spots left!  Reserve your spot today by emailing Kathy McDonald at [log in to unmask] After we receive your payment, we’ll email a package of information about the area, including contact information for Blue Bank Resort.