OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Andy Avram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Avram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:37:38 -0400

For anyone chasing
the Bohemians this week here is the info as we know it.

 The birds are seen at Lake
Metroparks’ Lake Erie Bluffs: http://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks/lake-erie-bluffs.shtml

I saw them starting
at about 11am and they were seen all day until at least when I left at around
5:30pm.  They appear to frequent a “weeping”
white birch tree that can be seen from the road as you are driving to the Clark
Road parking lot.  The tree, and patch of
sapling maples the birds are frequenting is due south of the parking lot.  The birch is exactly at these googlemaps
coordinates:

41.787583, -81.174362

They occasionally disappear
from 10 minutes to an hour or so.  I wasn’t
sure where they were going, but the last time the flushed at 5:30 we tracked
them to a tree on the north side of Clark Road and east of the parking lot
bordering the neighboring property at the following googlemaps coordinates:

41.788792, -81.172951

There are 5 birds
total and they stay in a tight flock, and sit together in the birch tree for
long periods of time.  At one point this
morning one of the birds crouched low and sang an extended song.

If you try and go
for additional birds the Northern Shrike has been seen in the past week, but it
is accessed from the Lane Road parking lot, or the cul-de-sac.  I have never been able to see it from the
road, but by walking the east fields at the following coordinates:

41.783607, -81.187742

Crazy amount of Woodcock are in all fields and start
displaying around 8pm. You can sometimes see them running along the trail
edges.

A Merlin is an infrequent visitor to the tallest snag on the
intersection of Lane Road and Niagara Road (if you are me you will never see
it).

If you copy and paste the above googlemaps coords into
googlemaps it will show you the exact areas I am talking about.

Good luck to any that try for the Bohemians this week.  I hope they stick around for you.