From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 06:08:25 -0700
I was at Conneaut harbor yesterday from 7:30 AM - 3:00 PM.  The sand road out to the spit was open and in good shape.  Once you get on the spit stay out of the deeper soft sand and you'll be OK.  There is ample habitat for a variety of birds right now, I checked around the lagoon and marina areas as well as the spit and came up with a nice diversity.  Birds included: green-winged teal, 7 lesser scaup, hooded merganser, 66 double-crested cormorants, 2 great egrets, 3 imm. black-crowned night-herons, 12 bald eagles, black-bellied plover, 18 semipalmated plovers, 4 spotted sandpipers, 2 solitary sandpipers, 3 lesser yellowlegs, ruddy turnstone, 8 least sandpipers, dunlin, 25 Bonaparte's gulls, 2 lesser black-backed gulls, 4 great black-backed gulls, 12 Caspian terns, 4 Forster's terns, 2 common terns, 3 red-headed woodpeckers, willow flycatcher, e. kingbird, warbling vireos; n. rough-winged, tree, bank, and barn swallows, brown thrasher, 2 Am. pipits,
 yellow warblers, and Baltimore orioles.  There were very few people at the spit all day, with a couple of dog walkers too.  Craig Holt, Lowellville