From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2016 11:54:20 -0400
        As some readers know, I have written--and continue to update--a
book-length work on the birds of Franklin and adjacent counties. I feel
fairly confident I've consulted the many public resources from Franklin
County, but am less than certain of my coverage of Delaware, Licking,
Fairfield, Pickaway, and especially Union and Madison counties. The work
is available, supported by Columbus Audubon, at
http://columbusaudubon.org/resources/checklists-and-indexes-2/  .
        I would be delighted to have more help from others. If you can send me
reliable new data on rarities or unusual dates or numbers I have missed
in those six adjacent counties--or even Franklin--including data such as
remarkable numbers, outlying dates, etc. I may have overlooked, I would
be glad to include them. Thus far I have included--in an Appendix--18
other species in counties adjoining Franklin, where 241 more are already
noted. I have excluded some rarity reports for lack of acceptable
evidence (for example even some photos cited in publications cannot be
located, such as one of an improbable roseate tern), but can look again
if more information is offered.
        Any help you can offer will make this resource more helpful to others.
Who knows? Some small local museum or library might have a local
ivory-billed woodpecker specimen, or some reliable local naturalist,
historian, or memoirist may have written up a swallow-tailed kite nest
from the old days; please let me know of rare finds if you can back them
up!  Don't forget extra records of species already included---there's
only one magnificent frigatebird for these seven counties--Ohio's
first--for example...were there more?
        I look forward to hearing from birders and scholars, etc., and promise
to assemble and report all the verified facts.
Thanks, Bill Whan