OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:06:03 -0500
Andy makes a good point about the extent of frozen water. In '03 and '94
a lot fewer Ohio lakes were frozen over, even though lakes to the north
were. If grebes have been driven south, though, I don't know where they
are right now; there was an unusual report of 25 in Brooklyn, NY the
other day, so maybe the grebes are heading more directly east, which is
probably where they eventually ended up after Ohio's invasions of the
past. They are, in effect, skipping a brief icy stay in Ohio in favor of
a direct move to their traditional winter locations off the east coast.
        No swan, introduced or not, will stay long in an area without open
water. Part of the large population of introduced trumpeters at frigid
Seney Refuge in Michigan's UP, for example, "migrates" a few miles away
to always-open water below a dam. Few have traditional wintering areas,
just facultative ones. Some of Michigan's large population of introduced
trumps moves south ahead of frozen water, some as far as Ohio, but this
year maybe even farther as open water is harder to find. Swan ID is not
always for eBird beginners, either, and the increasing numbers of wild
tundra swans lingering in Ohio have to be reckoned with.
        I should mention the informative notes I got from folks who chose to
write only to me rather than to all readers of this list.
First, I am persuaded by knowledgeable persons that greater scaups
have been seen here in larger-than-expected numbers this winter. Maybe
even Milt Trautman would agree! Their traditional migratory route leads
them much farther east, and for whatever reason--presumably
weather-related--they have first moved south through Ohio in greater
numbers this winter. Scaup ID remains a challenge for the beginner,
though, with the most reliable feature at any distance the pattern of
males' underwings in flight.
        If nothing else, it seems clear that water temperature can make a big
difference in the mix of birds we see this time of year...thanks to
everyone who shared their knowledge.
Bill Whan
Columbus