OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Janet S Duerr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet S Duerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:39:13 -0400
A small but mighty group of 5 blockbusters met in Meigs County at 6:30 AM
on Saturday morning, June 14.  We spent the morning spread out in block
80C3SW, a mixture of woods, farmlands, and scrub.  We met at noon for a
picnic lunch at the local cemetery, tallying up our group total of 69
possible (or greater) breeding species, including 21 confirmations.  We
added another confirmation during lunch - a Northern Mockingbird nest in a
fake flower display.  My favorites included fledgling Yellow-throated
Warblers and a Cooper's Hawk bringing food to it's nest of young. (I
luckily did not see what species of bird was prey, so I ignored the fact
that some other babies somewhere might be parentless.)

As the day heated up, the activity level of the birds (and birders) slowed
down.  We spent some time revisiting a block that we had begun last year,
adding a 11 new species and 4 confirmations.

Sunday morning was great - we surveyed block 80C2CE, very similar to
Saturday's block with a similar number of species (68).  But the birds were
cooperating this morning - we had 30 (!) confirmations.  All by just 4
atlasers in 5 hours!  We found fledglings of 15 species, including
oh-so-cute baby Blue-winged Warblers, American Redstarts, and Scarlet
Tanagers.

Hope you can join us this weekend in SE Ohio for our next blockbusting.
All are welcome!

Janet Duerr
Regional Coordinator
OBBA II Region 80/81