From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2022 17:49:02 -0400
I’ve been seeing and hearing pretty much the same birds over the past few days—pretty much all resident birds. I still haven’t managed to find a Mourning or Connecticut warbler. About a year ago I had great looks at the reserve of a Mourning warbler but so it goes.

Today I was delighted to watch a Yellow-breasted Chat doing his display flight. The first time I saw this was in Arizona and that was even more amusing as it was two or even three dueling chats as I recall. Wonderful jumble of song as they flutter their wings while ascending in altitude, then kind of parachute down.

I also managed to finally get a distant and not very satisfactory view of one of the Prairie warblers today. They’ve been quite vocal but impossible to view. Today they seemed to be moving around more but still being rather secretive (as were the Blue-wingeds). I believe there are at least two Prairies which I hope indicates 2 pairs nesting.

One Kentucky Warbler continues to be quite obliging allowing close views. I watched it forage near the ground as it sang sporadically. I managed to see a La WT yesterday but didn’t see or hear it today.

Warblers (mostly heard)
Yellow
Com YT
Prairie
Blue-winged
KY
Am Redstart
Hooded

Chat

FCs (heard)
Willow—first for the reserve—they breed and are easy to find at the nearby land lab but this the first that I’ve recorded at Denison
Least
Great Crested
Acadian
E Pewee

Vireos
White-eyed
Red-eyed

Scarlet Tanager—female seen/heard
Baltimore Orioles
Cedar Waxwings
Wood Thrush
Red-shouldered Hawk—chased off its perch by Blue Jays
Wood Duck hen—4 ducklings still hanging in, getting bigger every day
Saw a Black Vulture yesterday but only TVs today

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad