OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:27:10 -0400
Here's an update from northwest Ohio, where the Midwest Birding Symposium (MBS) is just around the corner.  Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO) is the MBS Birding Information Partner and I have some announcements about birding during the symposium - and beyond!     I recently met with Jason Lewis, the new manager of Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, and I asked him if he'd be willing to open the auto tour during the MBS.  Not only did he agree, but he offered to open it all three days: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 16, 17, and 18.  It will definitely be open during normal hours of 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., but he's also considering extending the hours. I've offered BSBO's assistance to open and close the gate after regular hours to help make it possible and we'll keep you posted.

Sounds great, eh?  It gets better!

There's been a lot of discussion about where to find shorebird habitat this fall and there should be good habitat on the Refuge in September. Turns out Jason Lewis is a very keen birder and he intends to focus a lot of effort on 1) How to create more shorebird habitat on the Refuge, and 2) How to make the Refuge more accessible to birders.  The first step he's taking is to draw down the water on MS5 (a large impoundment on the Refuge that's accessible from the auto tour) to create habitat for shorebirds.  BSBO conducts shorebird surveys on the Refuge and MS5 has a history of producing impressive numbers and excellent diversity; we've had days there in fall where this unit had literally thousands of shorebirds, everything from Buff-breasted Sandpipers to Marbled and Hudsonian Godwits. The habitat should be in its prime by mid-September.
For a reference on where MS5 is, here's a map and information about the auto tour that BSBO offers as a free downloadable PDF:  http://www.bsbo.org/birding/pdf/OttawaNWRMap-AutoTour.pdf

There are many other exciting projects planned to help make Ottawa NWR more birder friendly.  There's a trail in the works that will run from the area at the west end of the Magee Marsh boardwalk into that sweet wooded habitat on the closed portion of the Refuge that has tempted us all for so many years.  We know there are a lot of migrants using that habitat because BSBO has been banding songbirds in that area for more than 16 years, and the numbers and diversity are going to provide excellent birding once the trail is complete.  The Refuge is also working to provide proper access to the shorebird habitat along Benton-Carroll Road south of State Route 2.  They're constructing a large pull-off and a viewing platform is in the works, too!   BSBO has worked closely with the Refuge for many years on a variety of research projects and education programs. We understand the challenges they face in managing habitat for wildlife and a wide range of human use while constantly battling invasive plants. It will be exciting to see how the Refuge will be enhanced with a birder at the helm and I hope Ohio birders will show their support for these improvements as they unfold.   Good Birding!

~kim Kimberly Kaufman
Executive Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070

www.bsbobird.org
www.ohioyoungbirders.org
www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.org

Become a fan of BSBO and the Ohio Young Birders Club on facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

Follow BSBO on Twitter: www.twitter.com/bsbobird