OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:41:45 -0400
Cookie (my birding dog) and I checked out Black Hand Gorge this morning.
First, we checked the wetlands adjacent to the main entrance of the refuge.
It was about 1/3 open water, with a few waterfowl.  Other than a couple of
wood ducks on the river and some Canadas, all the waterfowl listed were at
the wetlands.  When we first arrived, the woodpeckers were drumming wildly,
all over the place.  However, I wasn’t able to spot who was making all that
noise.  Something that I have never seen before, is a turkey vulture
bathing.  I’ve seen a lot of other birds flopping in the water, splashing
water on wings, with wings, etc., but to see a turkey vulture do that was
surprising to me.  Two were up on the bank, with wings spread, drying in the
sun.  That I’ve seen before, usually after a rain.  When finished splashing
around in the water, the third moved up onto the bank and spread its wings,
too.  One of the bald eagles was on the nest; the other was seen in the
general area, but moved around some.  On the way home, I checked out the
heron rookery, on Owens Corning property but viewable from the church
parking lot on Cedar Run Road.  There were 11 herons in the tree and/or on
nests, the first I’ve seen at the rookery this spring.

Species seen at BHG or the adjacent wetlands, with a few notes:

Pied-billed grebe

Canada goose

Wood duck

American widgeon

Mallard

Northern pintail

Canvasback

Redhead

Ring-necked duck

Turkey vulture – one bathing in the river; two on the edge of the river with
wings spread, drying in the sun.   Getting ready for Thursday?

Bald eagle

Red-shouldered hawk – carrying some kind of prey out of the buttonbush swamp
– second time I’ve seen this hawk in this location recently

American coot

Killdeer

Mourning dove

Belted kingfisher

Red-bellied woodpecker

Downy woodpecker

Hairy woodpecker – Licking Co. bird #59 for March 2007

Pileated woodpecker

Eastern phoebe – three – two calling – Licking Co. bird # 60 for March 2007

Tree swallow

Carolina wren

American robin

Carolina chickadee

Tufted titmouse

White-breasted nuthatch

Brown creeper

Blue jay

American crow

European starling

American goldfinch

Song sparrow – singing everywhere – what a welcome sound!

White-throated sparrow

Dark-eyed junco

Northern cardinal

Red-winged blackbird

Common grackle

Brown-headed cowbird

The weather was wonderful, and the birds were fairly numerous, both in
overall numbers and species.  We walked the eastern 2 ½ miles of the Black
Hand Gorge bike path after checking out the wetlands.

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH