OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:22:34 -0500
I met a young birder at Medina Lake this afternoon with her mom and brother
and enjoyed their enthusiasm at seeing the Long-tailed Ducks, a LIFE BIRD
for her.  Thanks, mom, for bringing her out to get a LIFE BIRD and thanks to
Kim Kauffman for instilling enthusiasm in her and other young birders.  The
attached picture link is for her.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/MedinaLake31009#
<http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/MedinaLake31009>

As reported by Gabe and others this is a 'ducky' place this week.  14
species of waterfowl seen and often in mixed groups so pictures are really
neat.  As another birder I met observed, "I have driven past this place for
years and wondered what was down the trail".  The path is easy to walk but
you must walk up a long, wooden stairway to the top of this man-made
reservoir.  Once there the trail is wide, flat, hard and dry, if not windy!
Well worth the walk if you want to see many migrating ducks in one spot and
get some pictures with telephoto lens.

I did not count-heads but here is a specie list of waterfowl seen (I can't
believe I did not see any Mallards):

Long-tailed Ducks (male and female swimming together)

Horned Grebes

Mute Swan (just one)

Lesser Scaup

Ring-necked Ducks

Red-breasted Mergansers

Hooded Mergansers

Rudy Ducks

Coots

Shovelers (at least one pair)

Buffleheads

Red-head Ducks

Common Goldeneye (at least one pair)

Canada Geese

Ring-billed Gulls (are they waterfowl???)

Song Sparrows

Saw a nice 'kettle' of TV's fly over.

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH  44022