From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2018 02:40:55 -0400
We hiked around these two preserves in west-central Ohio this morning,
mostly for early wildlfowers, but with an eye and ear for migrants. We
accessed Clifton Gorge from John Bryan State Park, and Massie Creek gorge
from Indian Mound County Park. There wasn't all that much, with the
notables being:

Broad-winged Hawk - 1 was along the park road at John Bryan State Park
Turkey Vultures - good numbers at both sites
Rough-winged Swallows - 2-4 at each site
Winter Wrens - at least 2 at Clifton Gorge, none at Massie Creek
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers - small numbers (2-4) at each site
Kinglets - mostly Ruby-crowns, with 4-5 at each site; Clifton also had 2
Golden-crowns
Parula Warbler - 1 singing at Clifton Gorge
Black&White Warbler - 1 singing along the park road at John Bryan State Park
Yellow-throated Warblers - 3 singing at Clifton Gorge, 1 singing at Massie
Creek gorge
Yellow-rumped Warblers - small numbers (3-5) at each site
Louisiana Waterthrushes - 2 singing along the Little Miami River at Clifton
Gorge

Wildflowers were definitely delayed here this Spring, with many
early-blooming species (hepaticas, early meadow rue, Dutchman's breeches)
abundant at both sites.  While we saw a scattering of bees on the flowers,
no butterflies were out today.