From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 16:54:40 -0700
Highlights in the Deer Creek Reservoir today included 3 SURF SCOTERS (1m, 2f).  ~300 Ruddy Ducks were also present. The next most common duck in the reservoir surprisingly was Green-winged Teal. Other common ducks for the season were present in smaller numbers. Many Bonaparte's Gulls were joined by 2 Herring Gulls (adults). The water level of the reservoir has been dropping so fresh mudflats are appearing which is unusual for this time of year. From the Miller Park lookout this morning there were 60 Pectoral Sandpipers and about a dozen each of both yellowlegs. By mid-day the birds had widely dispersed and only 19 Pectoral Sandpipers were counted, but there were 2 Dunlins there with them. Wilson's Snipe, easily overlooked, are also widely scattered in the area too. This morning there were 3 Ospreys flying around the nesting platform in the N end of the reservoir. A sub adult Bald Eagle was stirring the mudflat birds up at mid-day.

One big change from only 2 days ago is that Field Sparrows are now on territory and singing all over. A couple of Fox Sparrows were also heard this morning and a few Am. Tree Sparrows also remain. Vesper Sparrows are also back in full force and singing. Vespers are probably easiest to find by driving down farm roads just outside the state land. Two always reliable areas with little traffic and hedgerows and/or trees close to the road that I would recommend are Miller Road continuing onto Roth Road on the west side of the reservoir and Badger Road off of Mouser Road south of the reservoir. Multiple singing Vespers were on both roads this morning, although I found them in several other places as well. Savannah, Song, Field, and even an Am Tree Sparrow were also seen along Miller and Roth Roads.

The spot where possible longspurs were reported yesterday hosted 50+ American Pipits early this morning, but no longspurs.

The previously reported RED-NECKED GREBE in the middle wetland area was still present today. A beautiful Rough-legged Hawk was also patrolling the area. I flushed an AMERICAN BITTERN on a walk on the west side of the southern tract. Also there were a few Wilson's Snipes and Song, Swamp, and several Savannah Sparrows. Another Osprey was perched in the trees in the parking lot on Egypt Pike Road, an odd place to see it for sure.

In the afternoon I took a quick zig-zag route northwest via farm roads to Buck Creek. There was no shortage of fields with corn stubble, but I found none with any fox-tail grasses that looked like possible places for Smith's Longspurs. At Buck Creek the great grebe and loon show appears to be over at the tower. I didn't scan the reservoir thoroughly, but I only saw a few distant Common Loons and one each of Pied-billed and Horned Grebes also in the distance. At Old Ried Park the Ross's Goose lingers on. It has taken up bad company with all the domesticated fowl and was chowing down on all sorts of junk that people were throwing the birds while I was there. I'll be surprised if that pudgy thing is able to fly north at this point.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6012 (20110403) __________