From:
Luke Heider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 23:26:09 +0000
Saw a large white swan in the Olentangy River approx 1/2 to 1 mile north of Home Rd of of SR 315 tonight @ 7:00. It was not a Mute Swan but other than that am not sure of the ID.

Luke Heider

-----Original Message-----

From: Wavedog <[log in to unmask]>

Date:         Wed, 7 Apr 2010 19:08:38

To: <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: [Ohio-birds] Migrants in Downtown Columbus & Observations at Highbanks Metro Park

During a walk around the Ohio statehouse today in downtown Columbus, I suddenly noticed large groups of Juncos forging in the trees and flowerbeds.  Upon closer observation, I quickly realized there was a small migrant fallout on the statehouse grounds.  In addition to the Juncos (over 40 total), I was treated to Brown Creeper (3), YB Sapsucker (2), Eastern Towhee (5) and Chipping Sparrow (7).  They had basically congregated to the North side of the statehouse out of the wind and were active for the entire 30 minutes that I observed with the Juncos and Towhees singing.  My observations are not far from where Heather Raymond reported similar numbers of migrants this morning on the Whitter peninsula in downtown Columbus.

After work, I walked at Highbanks Metro Park and was curious as to what I would find compared to downtown.  The migrants did not repeat but I did find the first Louisiana Waterthrush of the season, an Eastern Phoebe building a nest and a Great Horned Owl nestling, all on the Dripping Rock Trail.  The Owl nestling appears to be a few weeks behind the Greenlawn nestlings.  At the Wetland, there were several more Phoebe and three Yellow-rumped Warblers.

For those interested in wildflowers, the Dripping Rock Trail is currently loaded with a great variety of wildflowers and worth a look before they are gone.  Of course, you can also see the Bald Eagle nest out at the deck on the Overlook Trail.

Ken Davis

Westerville, OH