OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2018

From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:26:33 +0000
 The spoonbill was apparently absent for the second evening in a row last night. For those fortunate enough to have caught a glimpse that first night, an eBird stakeout hotspot has been created as the news we were hearing led us to hope many would get to see it. Please shift your eBird reports to that hotspot. Let me know if you are unsure how to do that.
There is no reason to assume the bird has left the area. Safe to say the neighborhood around CR 207 will keep an eye out and let us know if the bird drops back in to "The Plains" area where it had been seen for several weeks. But it is also worth noting that the bird was last seen flying WNW. That is in the direction of the Killbuck Marsh where it would first come to Holmesville Marsh, Butler Springs and other marshes along Rt 83, then quickly to County Line Road, Force Road and up into the core of the marsh. Favorite spots like Cemetery Rd, Clark Rd, Valley Rd, Wright Marsh and even a bit further such as Prairie Lane & Funk could all be hosting that spoonbill. It's a great time to be exploring those locations anyway as shorebird migration heats up and late summer stray heron dispersion hits its peak.Kent Miller