OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2019

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2019 19:30:11 -0400
My schedule only allowed an up and back trip to Magee today so I knew my chances of seeing the Limpkin were slim. (I’ve only seen it in Honduras.) I thought the cloud cover might work in my favor since I couldn’t arrive early and couldn’t stay late. Unfortunately, I did not see or hear the bird but I did pick up a couple nice birds as consolation prizes.

The boardwalk was very windy and quiet bird-wise but I saw a Connecticut Warbler, very briefly as usual, before it ducked further into shadow and cover. The stop a clock eye ring with no other facial markings, distinctive profile and a faint hood was enough to make me comfortable about the ID.

Only other warblers were Chestnut-sided and B&W. Had Warbling & Red-eyed Vireos plus a Baltimore Oriole in a small flock. Peewees & E Phoebes. Caspian Tern. Couple pairs of Trumpeter Swans, lots of Great Egrets and handful of Great Blues. Bald eagles of various ages, Red-tailed Hawks. Tree & Barn Swallows & at least one Purple Martin.

I went to Howard marsh hoping for a few shorebirds and I did pick up Lesser yellowlegs as well as one Pectoral Sandpiper. However as I was standing by the main road looking at the young coots I suddenly heard a King Rail sound off from the cattails. Unfortunately I did not see it even tho it sounded not far from the road.  it did not vocalize again but it gave a complete k-krr call with a cluck or 2 at the end. V cool!

Picked up Ruddy Ducks as well as Mallards there, another Caspian Tern and one Snowy Egret.

Yesterday on a brief walk at Blendon Woods, I saw an Osprey perched at Walden pond then it soared over me later at the pipeline cut. Only saw Am Redstart, B&W & I believe a magnolia so quiet on warblers. Wood Ducks.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone