OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2015 05:56:29 -0400
I stopped briefly (1 hour) at Hoover Dam yesterday and had a decent selection of migrants for the late afternoon.  Included among the expected birds were

Green-winged Teal - 1 was mixed with the Mallard in the spillway below the dam
Osprey - 1 was fishing above the dam
Gulls - with water levels dropping, the gravel bar off Walnut St Boat launch had 250+ gulls, mostly Ring-bills, but also 10-12 Herring.  Should be checked for unusual gulls from here out.
Warblers - a small mixed flock foraging in the sycamores along the spillway included a late-ish Yellow-throated, along with Parula, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Blackpoll, & Bay-breasted.

On a related note, cormorants were perched along the marina and water intake above the dam, but not in great numbers.  This contrasts with large flocks that were up at the northern end of the reservoir, where many are perching all around the un-used boardwalk.  I hope that repairs on the boardwalk are imminent and speedy, because cormorants can quickly stink up any structure that they occupy.