OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:44:29 -0400
Hi,

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has sent me off list email in
support of my trouble making.  It is very encouraging that so many
subscribers feel the same as I do. I understand why private messages are
used to express your encouragement and support.  I am in the fortunate
position of being able to express myself passionately and honestly
without deference to authority, or the politics of the birding community.
 I will always strive to remain honest, maintain the utmost integrity
(except for 1 day a year) and refrain from ever letting it get personal.

As someone who is passionate about protecting and preserving our planet, I
am often discouraged by how many participants in our sport care little for
the bigger issue.  They might get caught up in trivial issues that make
them feel good, but all you have to do is walk through the parking lot at
Magee Marsh, on a mid May weekend, to see where their hearts really are.
 It is easy to ignore the big stuff, like the Mercury in Lake Erie and, the
coal fired power stations that put it there, and how much harm this does to
our Ohio birds.  It is also easy to get behind industry funded campaigns
that play upon making people feel good, like banning plastic bags, which in
reality, in the grand scheme, does more harm to the environment than good.

Part of the Scotts' settlement  is to make donations to various
conservation causes, like Ohio Audubon Society's IBA program.  To me,
accepting these donations without denouncing the source
is hypocrisy squared, and shows how effective corporate America is at
covering up its wrong doing, by appearing to do good.  It illustrates why
my original missive on this subject was an indictment organizations
claiming to promote bird conservation.  From my point of view those
organizations need to take the lead on environmental activism, and if they
do not, they should admit to being social organizations and be honest about
their real missions.

In the end it is our actions and not our words that make a difference. I
will continue to take action in my yard and in my town.  I will write my
government representatives and speak my mind at relevant meetings where
decisions are made.  I will continue to be passionate even if it means I
stomp on my toothpaste in anger, ruffle feathers, and especially if it
means making people uncomfortable.

Thank you again.

Haans