OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:38:54 -0400
Fans of phenology may appreciate my surprise, three days ago, when I found
carpenter bees had emerged in numbers before the first sweet trill of
returning Chipping Sparrows. If I'm not mistaken, this date is about six
weeks prior to carpenter bee emergence last year at my place. Again this
morning, the only trills I hear are short junco trills. Central Ohio is
about 23 degree-days ahead of the long-term average this year, I think. Will
the timing of local insect population surges occur so prematurely this year
that some bird species will find insect protein diminished when they are
migrating or when feeding young? Will climate extremes shift phenological
patterns among plants, insects, and birds beyond the capacity of some
species to adapt? Which species will be losers and which will be winners in
the climate challenge--so many questions? Our phoebe is back in time for big
bee meals!

Tom Bain
Delaware County