OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Robin Tener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Tener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:44:20 -0400

  _____

From: Robin Tener [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 3:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Spouse vs Eastern Screech Owl

Having recently read an interesting anecdote about bird reaction to a
fall-singing Chipping Sparrow, I'll offer the following experience as
additional proof that you never know what you're gonna hear:

In my concerted attempts to return to birding after a considerable absence,
I have purchased a number of new items to assist me in skill-building, most
recently a book on Pishing by Pete Dunne.  This book includes an
instructional CD, which has been in my car.  This CD is not well tolerated
by passengers; however, this location provides me with Alone Time for
pishing rehearsal more often than any place else.

Those of you that might be familiar with this CD know that it includes
instructions regarding how to duplicate the descending tremolo call of an
Eastern Screech Owl.  Unfortunately, I have always been unable to whistle,
so this tool with not be added to my Pishing Techniques.

However, repeated listening to this CD has offered me repeated renditions of
this bird call, which was an easy one to learn, anyway.

The other night, I awoke to find that my sound-asleep spouse was imitating
this call right next to me - quietly of course, and without any solitary
"yelps" for emphasis.

I lay there awhile, marveling at the interplay of nose hairs, post-nasal
drip and exhalation.   My non-birder husband could never duplicate that
sound while awake.

Then, I heard the SAME sound, starting at a slightly higher pitch, that
appeared to be coming from another part of the house, and was occurring at a
slightly different interval than my husband's whistling.  Since my spouse is
"one of a kind," I figured that this whistling had to be coming from The
Real Thing.  I ran to a window, opened it, grabbed binoculars and there was
a grey-brown morph Screech Owl, singing in the moonlight.

I should be thankful my spouse is never that loud.

Best wishes on birding after a cold front.

Robin Tener

Bath, Ohio